iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up and running

Started by Osterman.r, July 06, 2021, 08:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osterman.r

I bought this mill in pieces back in March. It's been a fun project putting it together, and I am finally sawing very nice lumber. The mill came with a 60hp three phase motor that I haven't come across a big enough generator to run it yet. I bought another mill that is in really rough shape but it came with a caterpillar d4400 power unit. Motor was stuck pretty good. I took it all apart to free it up and it now runs like a top. All of the mill is sitting on telephone poles that I placed in the ground all the way to ledge. The hydraulic carriage is 240v single phase which is quiet and works well. I still need to build a sawyers platform and hopefully a building around it in the near future. The mill is a lane no.1 with upgraded hydraulic dogs.

Magicman

Congratulations on getting-r-done.  I know nothing about a circle sawmill except that I love to watch them sawing.  ;D

One word of caution; since you have components using 240VAC, be absolutely positive that you have the sawmill frame securely grounded not only to a ground bed but also back to the power co's multi-grounded neutral. (MGN)  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Those circle saws intrigue me. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

That is an awesome machine, I bet it was really satisfying when you got that Cat power unit fired up for the first time after freeing it up yourself!
Too many irons in the fire

Osterman.r

It sure was! Filled my shop with smoke for a few hours from all the burning acetone/atf concoction I used to free everything up. 

bannerd

Heavy duty, the steel used back then was well casted.

Iwawoodwork

Osterman, where are you located? please fill in your profile with location area, some one might want to come watch your mill.

Osterman.r

Will do Iwaw. I'm in southwestern nh. There aren't many of these circular Mills around. And even harder to find are the old time sawyers that ran them. I'm 30yrs old and trying my hardest to keep this old machinery alive. 

moodnacreek

Quote from: Osterman.r on July 07, 2021, 09:12:46 PM
Will do Iwaw. I'm in southwestern nh. There aren't many of these circular Mills around. And even harder to find are the old time sawyers that ran them. I'm 30yrs old and trying my hardest to keep this old machinery alive.
Maybe not operating mills but the has to be quite a few in Vt. and N.H. alone. Lane and Chase where very popular in New England. Chase quit in '87 and Lane in '04 [+-]  Now that you have one you will find more.

711ac

Quote from: Osterman.r on July 07, 2021, 09:12:46 PM
All of this makes me happy and gives me hope.👍

Iwawoodwork

Wish you were closer would enjoy seeing your mill. I have an all steel circle mill that is in 4-5 pieces that is on my "get to it" list of things. I enjoy yours and others pictures and post about the rebuilds, have picked a lot of info from them.

Osterman.r

Here it is folks. I will try a few different camera angles this weekend so you can see more sawing and power unit, and less sawyer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZX1DpiElfY

Thank You Sponsors!