iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting your sawmill out there!

Started by MAD414, July 24, 2021, 11:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAD414

Hello All,

Was fortunate to be able to buy a used mill that only had 15 hours on it.  I have had if for a month now learning, making mistakes, and practicing on my own logs. I enjoy it and know that it will make getting projects around the property easier.

My question to you all is how have you gotten your sawmill out there to get jobs.  Right now it has been word of mouth.  I have cut some lumber for coworkers at the firehouse for their projects.  I have cut one walnut and placed it on facebook market place with no bites.  I do not have a kiln but did only price it at $8 dollars a BF.

Was thinking of making a sign and put at the end of the driveway.  Just looking for suggestions and advice.

Thank you in advance.
Located in Ohio.

kelLOGg

How busy do you want to be? Is it a hobby or a living? I've been sawing 19 years as a "serious hobby sawyer" and "advertise" by word of mouth and have very busy times and not so busy times which is the way I want it. It all depends on your reason for sawing.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

VB-Milling

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable advertising to the general public after a month of sawing.  I've been chainsaw milling and drying my own lumber 2 years and I still don't think I have enough experience to charge people for a service/product I'm providing.

Sawing for friends is one thing, but sawing for actual customers is another.  I would get a whole lot more experience before you get the word out.

My 2cents of course.  Maybe you've run someone else's mill for 20 years.  It would be helpful if you filled out the rest of your profile and let us know what sort of mill you have.
HM126

WV Sawmiller

I'm with VB - tell us why we should know you are ready to start sawing for the public and we'll tell you how we advertise. The last thing you want to do is get out there and mess up a customer's logs/lumber before you have the experience to be sawing. If you do that you will start off with a bad rep that will take a long time to live down. Once we are convinced we can provide our tips or you can just go read the past threads on this issue. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GullyBog

Go for it.  Just be honest the whole time and pretty soon you can honestly tell people you are good at it. 
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Tom the Sawyer

For your future clients' benefit, and for those of us who custom saw for clients, I agree heartily with the suggestions that you get much more sawdust under your shoes before advertising your services.  As far as methods, reading through the Business Management module should give you many ideas.  Over the years before I bought my mill 12 years ago, I had hired several sawyers for my logs.  There is no particular number, 10s of thousands of BF, hours of milling, that magically qualify you.  I hired sawyers with new, their first, mills who did fine work, and one guy with 20+ years experience (circle mill) who was a disaster.  More than once I felt I had been had, either by the quality of the work or by the cost.

Gain experience sawing a variety of log sizes, species and styles.  If you get the chance, spend some hands-on time with a working sawyer, ask questions.  Most people learn by hearing, reading, watching, and doing.  I would also secure a domain name and start on at least a simple website, keep it private until you are ready for your grand opening.

As you learn more about sawing, you may wonder about why certain things happen, why lumber responds a certain way, the book "Understanding Wood" by R. Bruce Hoadley answers many of those questions.  There is also a companion volume called "Identifying Wood", as well.

Completing your profile would be very helpful.  Asking $8 bf for first cut, fresh cut, mill run green walnut (even in Ohio) seems overly optimistic.  Here in the KC Metro area, I can buy kiln-dried, FAS, S2S, 4/4 walnut for $6. 

Good luck with your learning curve.  Even with the best plans, sometimes people just hear about your mill and urge you to accelerate the business start-up phase. There is no shame in saying, "No."
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

farmfromkansas

It has been 16 years since I got my mill, but before that hired a couple guys to saw, who just screwed up my logs.  Made me sore enough to just buy a mill so I could saw the wood the way I want it. Neighbors had a guy from Manhattan come saw some logs, he used a dull blade and the boards were so wavy we had to plane 2" boards down to 1 1/4" to straighten them up.  This was for a table top.  They bring their logs to me now. And I don't saw for money, just for fun mostly, and as a hobby.  Farming takes so much time there isn't much left for hobbies.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!