iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

State Fair

Started by doc henderson, September 16, 2021, 07:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Our fair is here.  it was canceled last year, and prob. should have been this year.  the hospital is surviving.  My Uncle Jerry has been coming most every year, and we go see the chainsaw carvers and have lunch.  His buddy that used to come with him, dies of covid last year.  He refused to wear the cpap mask.  He (Jerry) likes to look at equipment, although he never buys anything and invokes JC when ever he hears a price.  Most of you would like Jerry.  you all feel free to add pics and stories about your fair if you are going or having them.  we have an extra 400,000 folks in town this week.

carvers from Iowa and KC.  pronto pup (corn dog) and root beer (and regular beer).  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

I hope I can learn to carve like that some day. I've been playing around with freehand stuff, getting good too! I think this is the most bang for your buck you can get working a saw no? These guys can sell these pieces for like 500$ sometimes 
A1

doc henderson

they are sponsored by Star lumber yard, and the pieces get auctioned on the last day, and go for big bucks, and the money is donated to the state fair account.  the guys are paid by them.  the lumber yard provides logs.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

good instruction on you tube, I own a book, I ordered a carving bar.  still have not tried it.
they were Stihl guys with some bigger saws but most carving was done with 150/151s and 250s.  My sons first saw was a 250 easy start and we do not use it for much else.  I will equip it.  he now has a farm boss.  he is 20 and does not live to cut wood. :)

HemlockKing

This is something I will dive into for sure eventually. I just opened up the world of chainsaw milling and even freehanding. I gots the fine motor skills for it because I excelled as a welder, came naturally. 
I seen a couple local people doing it they usuallly had a ms 170 and a bigger 261 for slabbing big parts off. 
A1

doc henderson

yes they had bigger saws to take off firewood size chunks.  the older guy has been doing it for 20 years.  I asked him what hurts the most every morning when he gets up.  he said he grew up on the farm, has a strong back, and is conditioned for it.

sawguy21

Our local fairs were cancelled last year, were a go this time but cancelled abruptly in June due to Covid spike. The communities were hit hard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

ours should have been, but not too crowded during the week, so you can socially distance and the sanitizes your oral pharynx.  (beer).

Thank You Sponsors!