iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid steers

Started by Redhorseshoe, October 21, 2021, 11:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

711   The 2" receivers are for about anything you could imagine from a trailer receiver to multiple attachments that reach out to do various tasks like a blade, rake, plow and so on. They come with two standard receivers with the chain hook inserts but I had them add two more receivers. I plan on fabricating a box frame with a blade on the bottom of it that will hold the 20k Braden hydraulic winch  for the front that can be hooked in the front receivers and disconnected fairly quick 

barbender

Jake, I can't help but notice that you didn't address the cowboy accusation😁
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

Trying to keep this thing PG rated. All of my comments went the other way. ;D
I was able to source new tracks through my Komatsu dealer for $2500.00 with warranty.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

Glad they are taking care of you on warranty! You definitely should get way more hours out of the tracks. Just to get your wheels turning Jake! You do know they have a new 335 track unit 118hp.  Just saying 😂.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQ06wBVwyk

Walnut Beast

Out of one storage facility to my place and  back in storage until other projects are done. 

customsawyer

They aren't replacing my tracks under warranty. The new set I'm getting will come with a warranty.
So what is the easy way to put these new tracks on?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

KenMac

Quote from: customsawyer on April 24, 2023, 05:15:16 AM
They aren't replacing my tracks under warranty. The new set I'm getting will come with a warranty.
So what is the easy way to put these new tracks on?
easy way is to let someone else do it!! ;D ;D
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Walnut Beast

If you hook up one of the top of the line mulching heads to your skid and don't tune it to your unit your not even close to maximizing the potential of your unit. This is what needs to be done

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UIZVJeiFpMl32CLCWhLgSoYFkPfvjHOr/view?ts=5ec58594

barbender

Sum up for me the basics of what is entailed in tuning one?

Walnut Beast

That's what the video explains. Set pressure to motor and 80% shift point. I don't care if anybody watches it. Just thought I would put it out there if somebody else got a mulching head for their unit and it would be a little help

barbender

It's not a problem that you posted the video, and it would no doubt be helpful for someone setting a machine and head up. I just don't like watching videos very much😊

Walnut Beast

I don't blame you. Just trying to click bait you 😂

customsawyer

Would the same apply to bush hog type mowers like YH and I have.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

okmulch

Tracks aren't to hard to change, just like anything the first one is the hardest until you figure the tricks out and leverage points. My CAT tracks are harder to change due to them having 3 Idler wheels instead of the 2 on the John Deere's. 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Walnut Beast

Quote from: customsawyer on April 27, 2023, 04:59:12 AM
No they probably don't. It's the motors that shift on the drum. But something very interesting is Diamond mowers coming out with a new disc mulcher that is going to have the same motor as the drum. And it will be able to be tuned to the machine. It will also be belt driven like the drum. They are supposed to be pretty incredible. The spool up time on the current one from a stall is 35 to 40 seconds and the new one is supposed to be 12 second. Price will be in the 30s. They are going out to guys for additional testing now to see if any bugs need worked out. They say they will be available this year

Walnut Beast

711ac

Quote from: Walnut Beast on April 27, 2023, 04:50:29 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on April 27, 2023, 04:59:12 AM
No they probably don't. It's the motors that shift on the drum. But something very interesting is Diamond mowers coming out with a new disc mulcher that is going to have the same motor as the drum. And it will be able to be tuned to the machine. It will also be belt driven like the drum. They are supposed to be pretty incredible. The spool up time on the current one from a stall is 35 to 40 seconds and the new one is supposed to be 12 second. Price will be in the 30s. They are going out to guys for additional testing now to see if any bugs need worked out. They say they will be available this year
I didn't realize this (2 speed hyd motors) about drum mulchers.
Is this pretty much across all manufacturers? 
I'm still feeling my way into mulching with my Paladin disc. My old Gehl friend has plenty of guts but the high flow steals most of the juice that operates the loader functions. Terribly slow up/down and tilt. Ground clearance is another issue and rather than buying a newer machine (SS), I decided that an excavator was the answer.  

I'm working on the plumbing right now, everything is on the stick but the drain line. It needs to be piped the rest of the way down the stick to where the others are. 
I believe that I made the right choice with the disc, my ground is just too rocky to grind against with a drum and some 2x4x8' shrapnel doesn't bother me. :D I'm doing fsi and thinning that pays me through one of the various NRCS / USDA programs. 

fluidpowerpro

Variable displacement motors are common on mulchers.They use what referred to as a constant HP control.
The motor is normally at minimum displacement as to get as much rpm with the flow that's available. As the mulcher loads and pressure increases, the motor starts to shift to increase displacement ( torque). This set up gives quick "spool up rpm" times on applications that mimic a flywheel.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

YellowHammer

My CTL mower brush mulcher is a Paladin, and it's a true beast.  It'll cut down a telephone pole in a whack.  What kind of cutters are on yours?  

Mine vibrated some when I got it, so I pulled the metal blades and ground them until they all weighed the same, and it cleaned up the vibration pretty well.  If it has the carbide cutters, they do not like rocks at all.  The very first time I used it, I sat it done on a volleyball sized rock and 1.5 millisecond later, $800 went up in rock smoke.  

Other than that, it's been a good one.      
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

The rock eating $800 of carbides in a flash is a great story, but I'd like for you to elaborate on how you know your mulcher will cut a telephone pole in a whack, Robert😁

Walnut Beast

Very nice 711ac! Looking forward to seeing more photos and your progress 👍

711ac

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 24, 2023, 10:02:21 PM
My CTL mower brush mulcher is a Paladin, and it's a true beast.  It'll cut down a telephone pole in a whack.  What kind of cutters are on yours.  
It uses the Quadco wheel and teeth.  "beaver" I've heard them called. They have 4 points and look just like a feller/buncher but maybe smaller. 

Walnut Beast

Let's see some pictures of your unit and hear about it. Wow.  If you ever get a chance to run one or get one the stand on behind mini Skidsteers   are absolute versatile mules and back savers

YellowHammer

Quote from: barbender on July 25, 2023, 12:27:16 AM
The rock eating $800 of carbides in a flash is a great story, but I'd like for you to elaborate on how you know your mulcher will cut a telephone pole in a whack, Robert😁

Yeah, it was a little embarrasing, I had planted some pine seedlings by hand many years ago, and some had grown 12 inch diameter or more, telephone pole sized.  Beautiful trees.  These were my "pets" and I was trying to trim a big poison ivy vine off the side of one of them, went a little too far and "whack!" before I could react, down came my hand planted pine tree.  Literally, that fast.  I was more than not happy, and there was some cursing involved.  Then a few months later, I was about to start on a couple acre plot of mixed scrub and small trees and I was asking the landowner how many and how big of trees he wanted me to save? He didn't seem to believe me, and he said, "Go as big as you can, and leave the rest" to which I said, "You don't understand, this thing will take down that power pole you are standing next to, if I wanted, and since you don't have any trees bigger than that, do you want me to just cut them all?"  He still didn't believe me so I tracked to the biggest tree nearby and "Whack!" tree on the ground.  His face was priceless. 

With these huge, double edged, pivoting cutters mounted to the massive, 5 foot or so, solid steel central flywheel disk, they are rated at 11" diameter trees, but considering these blades hit in succession like axe blades, then pivot away, they will cut down significantly larger, it just a few more whacks.  These things are incredibly destructive with high hp, high flow machines. 

Just keep it out of the rocks. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!