iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knuckleboom turntable bearing

Started by OldTimbercutter, April 28, 2022, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimbercutter

Im still looking for a loader. Know of a 210e that is local in decent shape but the owner  said the turntable bearing had a little play, but thought it would last along time.
I just load cut up logs , 4000 ft a day max. I Work alone. 
Just wondering if anyone has had a loader with a little bearing wear and if it would be ok for my use ?  Its priced right.
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

BargeMonkey

You can tell pretty quick if a bearing is truly thrashed. Reach out over the side, push up and down about 10ft out, grab something heavy and swing, have someone look at the up and down. Both my loaders are high hours, only God knows how many hours on a swing bearing and both have an allowable amount of slop, up and down is what should scare you. You can normally FEEL a bad bearing. 210E is a nice sized comfortable loader, parts are available. 

OldTimbercutter

Thanks. I've looked at some that were loose at an auction back in the day. Some of the bolts were broke out and pushing down it moved alot. So i didnt consider it.
Im going to look at this one soon. Just didnt know if it felt smooth but had some back and forth if it would take along time to be inoperable with me just using it an hr or two a day. 
Loader is joystick, which I prefer lever, what im used too. Straight cab all glass in it. They were loading 5 6 loads a day with it and bought a bigger loader .so it has iust set a couple years. Has a bucksaw port and delimber , which I dont need. But would like a saw later.
Does yours move any when you  push down and let up ?
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

backwoodsdave

Sometimes a little slack will look or feel a lot worse than it actually is, normal wear will give you enough slack to feel in the cab, the best way to tell if it's just normal wear or the bearing is starting to come apart is to check the grease at the bearing for metal flakes, may have to pump some good clean grease and run it for a bit, if the grease that oozes out is clean it probably has some life left in it, if it's full of metal it's on it's last leg, figure around 5k minimum for the bearing not including any labor or extras.

jay_d

Life is too short too waste it riding a bucking knuckle boom. I'd keep looking, cause when it does go out your looking at one of the two happening.

1. You catch it in time and end up spending around 9k for a new bearing plus a crane rental to install it.
2. You don't catch it and it comes off the subframe. Still gotta rent a crane to get the heap off the landowners property, and it's probably junk and you might be dead.

I've rode a 160c barko from the subframe to the ground and wouldn't recommend it

Firewoodjoe

I ran one that felt like a rocking chair for a long time. Stupid but never gave. But I also know of someone that broke a leg and one that nearly got hurt. Lucky. All open station truck mounts. Also watched a slasher that nearly torn the cab off.  But neither of those was there bearings fault. Either way your riding that thing so you want it pretty good. Just be careful. 

Thank You Sponsors!