iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belarus?

Started by NOCO Jim, April 30, 2022, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NOCO Jim

Anybody run them?  
Fella has a 420A model with loader and backhoe, 4wd, 800 odd hrs., he is asking $6500.
Any opinions?
glad to be here

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Oliver05262

They were/are a pretty tough tractor, but they have some unique features.  Take some getting used to. MacFaddens in Sharon Springs used to sell them; maybe they still do. They are a good source for parts and advice. Check the tractor out and note what issues it might have, then call out there and ask Jeff about it before you take the plunge.
Yeah, that price does sound a tad high.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Dom

Cheap tractors, people either love them or hate them.

I'd be cautious with the backhoe if it didn't have a proper subframe.

DaleK

Ok tractor for their time, parts were hard to find before the war and are embargoed now, possibly never to be seen again. Price is about $4000 too high. I'd find something else
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

dogone

They were somewhat popular up here in Canada. A very basic old tech tractor. Designed for strength and ease of repair. Would have been cutting edge in 1950.

moodnacreek

When to a loggers auction some years back and there was a bulldozer [Belarus] with a pony start.

chevytaHOE5674

Bare bones no frills 1950s tech still being used today (now a days they are MTZ). Parts are a big issue and only worse with the current war going on over there I'm sure. Neighbor has one with a broken gear set in the front axle, no luck finding parts in a few years. The gears inside look as if there were cast in a foundry and barely machined, a 10 speed huffy bike has better machine work on it than the inside of that axles does.

mudfarmer

Hey Jim,

I have one, all the above posts are spot on. They are pretty tough, bare bones, simple design and easy to work on. Parts and information can be an issue, price is several thousand too high on that one I would pass. Down pressure on 3pt hitch is nice, possibly "borrowed" from an International tractor design if my memory is correct.

moodnacreek

When it gets to the point where parts can't be had the value of the machine goes way down. The only person besides a junk yard, that should buy one is the person who already has the same model and knows what to expect. This person should also set the price.

peakbagger

I ran into someone who bought one years ago, I think a selling point was it came with a big crate of spare parts. Long ago they were used in place of currency exchange. 

47sawdust

Early Belarus tractors came with a bench seat so your mechanic could ride along with you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

chevytaHOE5674

If you are operating a Belarus you probably can't afford a proper mechanic. Ha. 

NOCO Jim

Thanks for the insights, folks.   I'll be letting this one pass.
glad to be here

petefrom bearswamp

Looked into buying one in the mid 90s
Parts man at the dealership turned me off when he recited the jingle he had heard, "Belarus, whats the use"
Around here there were 2 pronunciations Bell air rus and bell a roos
Bought a vintage JD 4020, never regretted my decision.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Roxie

Quote from: moodnacreek on April 30, 2022, 08:11:55 PM
When to a loggers auction some years back and there was a bulldozer [Belarus] with a pony start.
You gave me a smile and a memory on the pony start. We had a John Deere 730 and it was magic listening to it start and run. Cowboy Bob would put a coffee can on the muffler and forget to take it off sometimes. We played Dodgethecan. 
Say when

moosehunter

Fellow member @york used to have one. Not sure if he still has it.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Frickman

A farmer/landowner I cut timber from about twenty odd years ago had two of them. I looked them over while I was there. The fit and finish on them was very poor. If a guy had ready access to cheap parts and the desire to wrench on a machine every time he went to use it it may be ok. If I owned one and it ran I'd drive it to the nearest scrapyard and sell it by the pound. 
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

york

Sold mine, for 500.00 scrap-guy came for it, came with two battery's, it started right up and She gone...
Albert

SwampDonkey

Bernstein has one and logs all his firewood and cuts his hay on one.

Would I buy another Belarus tractor? - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kodiakmac

I know a few guys who have (had) Belarus tractors.  They've been sitting for years because the dealers have closed and parts are just not available.  
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!