iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advise on power supply for old 24" planer

Started by Gere Flewelling, August 10, 2022, 09:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gere Flewelling

I have an old 24" planer.  It probably dates back into the early 1900's.  It has always been stored under cover as near as I can tell.  I am not sure what brand it is as I have not found a tag on it yet.  It is still in a barn as you can tell from the junk laying on and around it.  I am planning on mounting it on a trailer device (yet to build) that will make it portable and still be able to store under cover when not in use.  My question is; how big of a gas engine do you think I would need to power it properly?  I understand the original owner had a 5 hp electric motor on it.  That motor was robbed off from it prior to me getting the unit.  I have a 13hp. Honda engine I would like to fit on it, but don't want to be wasting my time if it will not be powerful enough.
Everything seems to turn freely on it and the knives look to be in pretty good shape once they are sharpened.  Certainly will need some guards fabricated and installed prior to use.  As much of a mess as a planner like this will make when in use, we want to be able to operate it outside.  This explains the reason for trailer mounting and gas engine.
When I get this unit out of where it is being stored, I will try to identify it better.

Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

240b

Neighbors had something similar when i was a kid it ran off flat belt from an 8n.

rusticretreater

Safety Warning: Is this a square head planer?  These are dangerous and prone to kick back.  If it is square head, you should either let it go or modify it to host a round head cutter.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=23691.0

HP is HP, so 13 should be more than enough.  Grizzly uses 3HP on their 15" planer.

We have this conversation many times and I will bring it up again.  Peak torque, not peak HP is what you should be concerned with.  You need to find the HP and torque curve chart for the engine.  Then work the math back and forth to find the right pulley sizes to keep the engine near peak torque and also the blades spinning at the desired rpm.  There are many calculators available online.

You want the engine rpm to be just past the peak torque rpm, 100-200 or so.  When the engine bogs a bit when the wood is fed, the rpms drop and the engine ends up in the peak torque area.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

muggs

I would not use a square head planer. I received a broken arm from one. But to answer your question. 13 hp should work for you.

Gere Flewelling

Thank you for the opinions and suggestions.  I think I am going to not bother with this build.  I was unaware of the many dangers associated with square head planers.  I have never seen one run and looks like it would be best for this one not to run as well.  Thanks for the advise and sharing your knowledge on the subject.  GF

Quebecnewf

I'm sorry but I don't agree with all this danger stuff. All cutting tools are by nature dangerous . Some are more dangerous than others , that's a given .

I rebuilt a planer like yours . Square head , flat belt , no guards to speak of .

This is the planer that I'm talking about . Before and after pics .
I now run this at my mill with a 15 hp Lifan ( Honda knockoff) engine .

These planers were designed to plane wood from sawmills . They are not designed for ( shop use ) per say .

Your trailer idea is perfect for this planer . I'm thinking you would take it on site do a job then return it home . ?

The square heads get a bad rap . Mine is square head. Keep the blades sharp . Make sure your blade holder bolts are good . Adjust your roller hold downs properly and you should be good to go .

https://youtu.be/PT9UE740o38

Link to a YouTube video of my setup at the mill 

Quebecnewf

Dan_Shade

Quebecnewf,  did you add anti kickback pawls /fingers to your planer? 

I have an old American planer, was going to go the portable trailer route, but have tabled the idea for a while. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Quebecnewf

Yes I did . Made up my own system after I read all the warnings about square head planers .

After running it for a few years I'm thinking it was a waste of time .

I have pics if you need them 

Q

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Gere Flewelling

Quebecnewf- You are definitely encouraging me to reconsider my previous statement and give this build a try.  Thank you for the advise on how to make these old units a little safer.  I don't think I will be in a rush to get this one into operation without seeking advise on how to best proceed with devices to make the unit as user friendly as possible.  I will be posting pictures as I get progressing on this.  It may take a while.  Thanks again.  GF 

bluthum

40 years ago I knew of an "old timer" was being described an old jointer for sale that had a square cutter head. He says "Oh you mean a meat grinder cutter head."  I've never been interested in one since.

Thank You Sponsors!