iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'free' wood....

Started by mrcaptainbob, August 17, 2023, 10:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

Friends had a (catalpa [sp?]) tree dropped behind their house. It was large and dangerous.
HUGE leaves. Bonfire pit took the small stuff and leaves. Green though they were they flashed off like face tissue !! Hot is just a start to describe this stuff burn.
So...I acquired the whole tree. It will feed the OWB this winter.
Any experience with catalpa? Catalba? It's a pretty light weight wood.

Southside

It will go hot and fast, don't plan on it being an overnight load. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

Catalpa ranks right with alder, cottonwood, spruce in BTU's . About half of what oak puts out. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I see you are struggling with the spelling. Allow me to add to it with our variation. The 2nd river south of me is the Catawba  :)

doc henderson

the wood reminds me of cedar.  splits easy.  When we got our first wood stove in the house, we had just moved here.  I hade little equipment.  I did not know many.  A nurse here heard I wanted firewood, and her daughter had cleared the center of a lot north of town.  the Catalpa grew in groves reportedly encouraged by a plan to make railroad ties.  My wife and I went to cut logs and load then in the truck.  The had huge piles left by the bulldozer that cleared the lot.  I went back with my cousin and got more in the dump truck, and we could pick up 10 inch diameter 10 foot long logs, and load them in the dump truck.  I heard later that My nurse "mom" friend got a call from her daughter in her 20s, "MOM there are loading whole logs in the dump truck!"  It split so easy, with straight grain.  to me it smelled like a guy was smoking a pipe nearby.  It crackles and pops and throws sparks.  I had split a nice chunk flat and jointed and planed it.  looks like a cedar to me as well.  Could make some nice boards, if anyone has a sawmill.   ::)   :)

<

slabs dry and being cut into trim boards, for a shed-o-minium.

split out from firewood log.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on August 17, 2023, 10:26:11 PM
Friends had a (catalpa [sp?]) tree dropped behind their house. It was large and dangerous.
HUGE leaves. Bonfire pit took the small stuff and leaves. Green though they were they flashed off like face tissue !! Hot is just a start to describe this stuff burn.
So...I acquired the whole tree. It will feed the OWB this winter.
Any experience with catalpa? Catalba? It's a pretty light weight wood.
The few I had in the pasture went straight on the brush pile when they got cut down. Not going to waste time making firewood out of them. My Garn likes a steady diet of hedge. But if you have no other source of wood it's better than no wood. 

Southside

Don, when you spend too much time in the woods you get entertainment out of asking folks to pronounce places like Chemquasabamticook Lake by pointing it out on the map.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

People have a hard enough time with Pokegama Lake up here😊
Too many irons in the fire

mrcaptainbob

1st time using this catalpa wood. Not a fan! Goes faster than pine and a LOT less heat!
I'll waste it while the temps are still in the 40's/50's. After that I'll go to the maple, oak and hickory.

Ianab

That's to be expected with very light wood. BTUs mostly depend on dry weight, so if a lump of firewood is only 1/2 the weight, assume it's only got 1/2 the BTUs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

Catalpa splits nice.  If you ever want to show off your manly splitting skills.  It also smells good in the stove.  nice cool day outside and it smells like someone's grandpa is smoking a pipe.  If it is all you got, it still keeps you warm.  also mills nice and looks like a cedar.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SwampDonkey

People turn up their nose at aspen, spruce and fir in hardwood country to. I burn it every winter in the furnace. In fact can't even have a fire all day long it's too hot. :D 

My cousin also burns about anything, from fir nubbins off Christmas trees, pin cherry, aspen, whatever. He never froze yet either. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!