iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Furniture ?

Started by TJH, January 26, 2006, 04:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJH

Hey Guys,
This is my first post. I am interested in building log furniture, specifically a log bed. I have been looking around at mortise and tennon jigs that go on a drill, but they are really expensive, as I am in college. Would you guys be able to direct me to any ideas on how to build a bed? How about websites with some info. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Brad_S.

TJH,
Welcome to the forum!

What I do is wander down to the nearest Barnes & Noble or Borders with a pen and paper and use it as a library! There are several books on building rustic furniture that contain great info. There is one in particular that tells how to cut a tenon with a back saw and chip knife, and also shows you how to make your own tenon cutter for use either in a drill or manually turning it. Let me do some poking around and I'll get you a book title and author.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Brad_S.

"Rustic Furniture Workshop" by Dan Mack is the book I was thinking of. He says tenons can be cut with a hatchet, rasp, knife, hole saw or spur saw, as well as the Veritas cutter you mentioned.
Woodcraft stores often have a nice 'library' as well but it's harder to take notes there without drawing a clerks attention. ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Max sawdust

Quote from: Brad_S. on January 26, 2006, 09:46:32 PM
TJH,
Welcome to the forum!
There is one in particular that tells how to cut a tenon with a back saw and chip knife, and also shows you how to make your own tenon cutter for use either in a drill or manually turning it. Let me do some poking around and I'll get you a book title and author.

TJH,
You do not need an expensive tenon cutter.  A couple of different size hole saws and a back saw should do it.  It is my opinion that tenons cut this way with out a shoulder and fitted well look better than the machine cut ones with the drill mounted tenon cutter.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

HARLEYRIDER

first of all, check out this thread titled calling all log furniture builders , how do i ,,,,

there's a lot of info on tenon makers, including a link for a how to use video on Rocklers site

welcome
Greenwoods Timberworks

Thank You Sponsors!