iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardware for convertable coffee table top needed

Started by Bibbyman, April 06, 2007, 10:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

My youngest son is getting married this summer.  The one thing he and his bride to be asked for was a coffee table.  He wants one made from dark wood and she wants one made of light colored wood.  He wants one made tall enough to be practical and she wants it short.

We've got a couple of customers that make custom furniture and I was thinking of asking them to make a coffee table and maybe matching end tables.  I was thinking I could please both by making the table top out of some spalted maple I have with the edge of the top trimmed in walnut.  I also thought of some combination of maple and walnut for the base and legs.

I hadn't had any ideals of how I was going to handle the height dispute until we were watching HGTV's "Room by Room".  It's one of the shows on Mary's list so I wasn't paying too much attention until they came to the coffee table.  It had a top that lifted up to table height on a scissor hinge type of brackets.  COOL!

I looked up the show on the HGTV web site and they had a picture of the table but not in the lifted position.  They noted that the table was by La-Z-Boy.  I went to the La-Z-Boy
web site and found nothing like this listed.

Room by Room - a den for her

While I'm not interested in the table itself,  I'd like to find a source for the table elevator hardware.

I looked though the Rockler catalog but found nothing like this.

Anyone got an idea where to find the hardware to make a convertible coffee table?

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

metalspinner

I've seen that hardware in a catalogue...I think it was Rockler.  I will look for it in a bit.

Yep...here it is.

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=coffee+table+lift&submit.x=13&submit.y=10
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bibbyman

That's IT! 

I don't know how come I couldn't find it.  ::)

Thanks!   8)
Sawing since '94

Part_Timer

Another good spot for hard to find hardware is Lee Valley.    They have lots of good stuff.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Bibbyman

While I was out delivering a load of lumber Mary found yet another lift table plan and hardware kit.  This one looks like it uses wood for the links.

Meisel Hardware Specialties - lift-up coffee table plans

The plans are $19.99 and the hardware kit is $12.95.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!