iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cookies!

Started by Patty, October 18, 2007, 01:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Title: Cookies!
Post by: Patty on October 12, 2007, 06:32:35 PM
There is no better food than a good cookie.....and all cookies are good cookies!

My favorites include Sugar cookies made with powdered sugar and butter, chocolate chip...the best recipe is the one on the chocolate chip bag, peanut butter with a hersheys kiss on top  :) , chocolate drop cookies with white frosting, oatmeal raisin cookies from the recipe on the Quaker oats box, and my mom's recipe for molasses cookies. They are the BEST ever!  I will post her recipe as soon as I find my box of recipes. roll_eyes

I am hoping this will inspire you all to post your best cookie recipes. My friend and her daughter, and I do a huge cookie and candy bake fest the weekend of Thanksgiving for all our Christmas goodies. Then I spend the rest of the holiday season eating them. :)   

Title: Re: Cookies!
Post by: Dave Shepard on October 12, 2007, 09:57:39 PM
I don't get along with sugar too well, but that never stopped me from eating way too many cookies. :D I like good old fashioned chocolate chip. I like molasses cookies too, but never seem to get any good ones. Maybe Norm has seen your recipe box? :)

Dave

Post by: Patty on October 13, 2007, 06:06:50 PM
Norm saved the day  8)   

Here is my mom's Ginger Cookie recipe....most folks call 'em molasses cookies

Cream together:
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
4 tsp soda (dissolve in a tiny bit of hot water)
1 1/2 cups shortening
1/2 cup molasses

Sift together:
4 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients with creamed ingredients. Roll the dough into little walnut size balls and then roll in sugar. Bake at 350 F for about 12 minutes.

Enjoy  8)

Post by: Don-Papenburg on October 13, 2007, 11:31:01 PM
We have been replacing the Hersheys kiss with the stars , saves a lot of unwraping.

Post by: Patty on October 14, 2007, 09:34:27 AM
I am looking for new cookie recipes to make this year for Christmas platters. Please share your favorites here for me.

Post by: Larry on October 15, 2007, 07:46:26 AM
Since Doc put me on a veggie breakfast to control my cholesterol I've had terrible hunger pains mid morning.  Been eating health food bars to get over the pain...not very tasty and sorta sticky.

So...saw Patty's post and thought that's what I need....cookies.  Asked the boss if she could cook em and she agreed to give it a try.  Oatmeal raisin for the first time in many years.

Not perfect but a lot better than the health food bars.  She is encouraged enough to try another batch later this week and is also gonna try chocolate chip. 8) 8) 8) 8)

Post by: Weekend_Sawyer on October 15, 2007, 12:36:58 PM

Oatmeal Rasin is my ablsoute favorite. I just follow the directions on the box of Quaker Oatmeal. MMMMMmmmmm!

Post by: ohsoloco on October 15, 2007, 07:54:33 PM
I like about any kind of cookie.  My grandmother used to make such a huge assortment of cookies around Christmas time  :)  I loved her raisin filled cookies.

Last week I was at a wedding reception that had a table full of assorted cookies.  Gonna have to track down the recipie for one of those cookies.  It was shaped like a pierogie, the cookie reminded me of a soft shortbread, it was filled with what tasted like nut roll filling, and topped with a frosting and shredded coconut  8)   That was one DanG good cookie.

Post by: OneWithWood on October 16, 2007, 11:18:00 AM
Biggest problem I have making cookies is actually getting them into the oven.

Can you say coo - ookie dou-ough  :)

Post by: Roxie on October 16, 2007, 02:06:16 PM
What a great idea, Patty!   8)

Candy Cane Crisps are one of my favorities.  I use red, white and green candy canes to make these.

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy canes, divided

Preheat oven to 325 F. In large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup powdered sugar until creamy; beat in vanilla. In another bowl, stir together flour, oats and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly. Add 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies; mix until well combined. Roll dough into 3/4" balls, then roll in remaining 1/4 cup sugar to coat. Place balls about 2 inches apart on greased and floured baking sheets. Flatten cookies with fork, making a crisscross pattern with fork tines. Sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon crushed peppermint candies. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 2 to 3 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

Post by: Patty on October 16, 2007, 04:02:42 PM
Those sound wonderful, Roxie, thanks!

I was wondering if Paschale would post his famous recipe for the Mint Explosion cookies. We lost it during the great crash of 2007.

I baked a batch of the Ginger Molasses Cookies that I posted above. I tested and the cookies don't do as well if you cut down on the spices. So I am going to edit that out.

My son said these cookies were the best EVER in the whole world.  ;D   So there you go, words from the expert cookie eater himself. (takes after his mom)

Post by: BBK on October 17, 2007, 06:46:11 AM
Quote from: OneWithWood on October 16, 2007, 11:18:00 AM
Biggest problem I have making cookies is actually getting them into the oven.

Can you say coo - ookie dou-ough  :)

Me Mouph ish full, cnt talshk  ;D

Post by: Roy M on October 17, 2007, 02:08:06 PM
I am having a hard time taking some of you seriously. All the talk about losing weight then you start in with recipes for one of the best foods ever-homemade cookies. :D :D :D Mom made wonderful peanut butter cookies, my sister and I would have lived on them if allowed.

Post by: ohsoloco on October 17, 2007, 06:33:14 PM
Hmmm, raw cookie dough is okay, but I was always ready to pounce on my mom's chocolate chip cookies as soon as they came out of the oven....it's always good when ya gotta wipe melted chocolate off of your lips and chin  ;D

Post by: OneWithWood on October 17, 2007, 09:09:03 PM
That is one of life's true dilemas.  To cook or not to cook, that is the question.  :D

Post by: Furby on October 17, 2007, 09:11:39 PM
I thought it was: "To eat or not to eat".
You can cook all you want! ;D

Post by: OneWithWood on October 17, 2007, 09:17:34 PM
That is never the question.

It truly is eat raw or cook and then eat.  All depends on my mood.  But eating is NEVER in doubt.  I am therefore I eat  :D

Post by: Furby on October 17, 2007, 09:28:32 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Patty

Of course there is never a question about eating cookies...whether they are baked or not!  ;)

I am guessing that is exactly the reason we need the weight control thread.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Don K

Homemade cookies are good before and after a trip through the oven. That's why I make two batches at a time, so I'll end up with about a batch of cooked ones. :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Paschale

Quote from: Patty on October 18, 2007, 01:00:11 PM

I was wondering if Paschale would post his famous recipe for the Mint Explosion cookies. We lost it during the great crash of 2007.

Happy to oblige!   :)

Chocolate Mint Explosion

12 tbs unsalted butter
3/4 cp granulated sugar
3/4 cp firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cp (95g) Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder (substitutes won't have the same dark bittersweet taste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp peppermint extract
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cp (165g) all purpose flour
12 oz. Guittard Smooth and Melty petite mints

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the butter, sugars and cocoa (sifted) in a heatproof bowl above a pan of barely simmering water. Stir mixture occasionally until butter is completely melted and then stir to combine fully (mixture will appear grainy). Remove bowl from pan. After mixture has cooled slightly, stir in one egg at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated. After second egg, mix thoroughly, until the mixture is glossy and smooth. Add extracts and mix to combine, being sure to scrape the bowl. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt, making sure soda is fully mixed in. (Triple sift). Add flour mixture in two additions to the cocoa mixture, scraping the bowl each time. Combine until the flour mixture is incorporated fully. If dough is still warm, stir once or twice, then let sit until it reaches room temperature to avoid melting the mints. When cool, stir in mints. Drop rounded tablespoons of dough, spaced two inches apart, onto lightly greased pans. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Some of my friends have been making this cookie and they melt the butter and then add it to the cocoa and brown sugar--seems to work just fine and is much easier.  I think this is a recipe that really needs a good quality butter, like Land O' Lakes to succeed, and as far as the chips go, you can order them online, but Cracker Barrels usually carry them, if you have any of those nearby.  Otherwise, if you have a World Market, they carry a similar mint chip by the same company, Guittard--it's just green, but basically the same stuff.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Don_Papenburg

What is this Guittard ?Any other /simalar bits ?  what is it made of?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Paschale

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on October 24, 2007, 10:41:56 PM
What is this Guittard ?Any other /simalar bits ?  what is it made of?

Guittard is a brand name--they're mint chips, basically, and you can substitute Hershey's Mint Chips, though I personally don't like them much.  Chopping up bits of Andes mints might work too, or just using white chocolate chips could work just as well.  I think the best mint chips on the market are made by this Guittard company, which is why I put them in my recipe.  Any chocolate chip could work too, but it's nice having the extra kick from the mint chips.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Don_Papenburg

Thanks that give me something to go on
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Haytrader

Here is a site that has many cookie recipees.
You click on any cookie title and the recipee shows up.

Click here
Haytrader

ohsoloco

I just got the recipie via email for those nut cookies.  Don't ask me why they're called Fish cookies  :-\

Grandma
Lally's Fish Cookies

l Cup oleo
            1 Cup sugar           Cream these 3 ingredients, well
            2 eggs

4 Cups flour
            3 teaspoon  baking powder                      Add dry
ingredients slowly, not all the flour at once, saving a cup until last
            1/2  teaspoon salt
            1/2 cup milk(warmed slightly)
            1 teaspoon vanilla(pure) (but may use imitation)

After all is mixed well, regrigerate 1 hour or longer,
even overnight.
            Roll out small portion, refrigerate rest until ready to use

I use a round, small bowl or cup as my cutter.  Spread
apricot or nut mixture over most, not too close to the ends
            Fold over, seal by pressing ends together as in shape of half moom

Bake  350*     15 to 18 min (depending on oven)
            Lightly greased baking  sheet

Apricot filling I get in the market already prepared,
usually by the fruit section, comes in all flavors

Nut filling-1 lb. ground nuts
                          1 egg(beaten with fork)      mix well by
hand until sugar is dissolved
                          1 cup sugar

ICING

1# powdered sugar
            1/4 Cup heated milk
            1 tablespoon butter or oleo        Have a little runny,
add more milk if needed to thin
            1 teaspoon vanilla                   Immediately, sprinkle
with ground nuts or coconut or both

Will harden as
sets.  The cookie itself will soften when put in airtight container

Denise made chocolate chip cookies Saturday night, and I was waiting to pounce on them just as they hit the cooling rack  ;D  Tried a little trick the other day, and if you put a cookie or two in the microwave on full power for about ten seconds, it warms them up nicely  :)  Not quite the same as fresh from the oven, but close enough. 

beenthere

ITALIAN  COOKIES

This is for all the Italians out there, and those who are lucky enough to be married to an Italian, and even to all the friends of Italians.

An elderly Italian man lay dying in his bed.  While suffering the agonies of impending death, he suddenly smelled the aroma of his favorite Italian Anisette Sprinkle Cookies wafting up the stairs. Gathering his remaining strength, he lifted himself from the bed. Leaning against the wall, he slowly made his way out of the bedroom, and with even greater effort, gripping the railing with both hands he crawled downstairs.

With labored breath, he leaned against the door frame, gazing into the kitchen.  Were it not for death's agony, he would have thought himself already in heaven.  For there, spread out upon wax paper on the kitchen table were literally hundreds of his favorite Italian Anisette Sprinkled Cookies.

Was it heaven?  Or was it one final act of heroic love from his devoted Italian wife of sixty years, seeing to it that he left this world a happy man?

Mustering one great final effort, he threw himself towards the table, landing on his knees in a crumpled posture.  His parched lips parted, the wondrous taste of the cookie was already in his mouth, seemingly bringing him back to life.

The aged and withered hand trembled on its way to a cookie at the edge of the table, when it was suddenly smacked with a spatula by his wife. "Get out of here!" she shouted, "They're for the funeral."
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!