Playin' around

Started by DanG, September 10, 2008, 12:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Whenever I finally get around to cleaning up my chainsaws, I always take the time to clean the wood fibers out of the tip sprockets.  Once it is cleaned up, you can lay your blow-gun in the groove and make the sprocket turn pretty fast.  At first, it will give off a low-freq buzzing noise, but two drops of RustReaper will take it right out of the frequency range of the human ear! :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tyb525

Try that on a bicycle pedal, or a fan  8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Warbird

I actually had to break out the RR today.  I could not locate the poles for my chimney sweep ('round here, it's about time to fire up the wood stove).  Turns out I'd put the poles in the back of an old truck and they were laying in water.  The ends are made with metal and will screw together so you can attach multiple poles for longer length chimneys.

Anyhow, they were rusted up so bad, I couldn't get them to screw together, even after taking a wire brush to it.  Drenched the ends in RR, let 'er sit for a few, wire brushed it, blew it off with some compressed air, and it went together with little effort!

I tell you...  I love this stuff.

ely

dan, you should quit spinning those bearings with compressed air. the RR may help some, but with air a person has no idea of the rpms they spin those bearings at. probably not gonna hurt you inside that bar tip, but it could get bad on a free bearing.

DanG

Good thought Ely.  I probably shouldn't do that, but I probably will continue. ;)  Considering that there are 8 or 10 teeth on the sprocket, and that's what makes the noise, less than 2000 rpm will push the frequency beyond what these old, well abused ears can hear.  The heat from all those wood fibers jammed in there would likely cause more damage to the bearing than a momentary burst of high speed.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tyb525

Forgot to mention - I also broke a bike pedal that way.  :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!