iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burg sawmill

Started by schlep, January 13, 2010, 03:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

I agree that the manual clutch isn't all bad. Pros and cons to both. If I do add a centrifugal clutch it's nice to know that I can still finish the day out with the manual.

Jeff 
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

schlep

Quote from: coastlogger on January 25, 2010, 02:12:48 PM
Throttle an manual clutch is really no problem.I have my garden tractor style throttle mounted on clutch lever, I can do them both at once. It does have some advantages ie my engine seems to start better with some throttle ,blade doesnt engage etc.
I don't think it will be a problem just more conveniant, and you make a good point about starting the engine, never thought of that. And as Jeff says you can have the best of both worlds.

Puffergas

Your building the frame/trailer so I thought I would mention that the Burg heads are just the ticket for edging your hog dressed lumber BUT they are not made to turn a log against. I welded a pocket on the frame of my trailer so that a 2x4 could be slid in there. The 2x4 is what I turn the log against.

Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

schlep

thats a good idea also, sorry I didn't get to respond sooner I was in Alberta for a while. Did you just use one? Could one make something that can be raised and lowered instead?

Puffergas

I use two for turning the log. Sure, you could design it how ever you need. I still used the bunkers from my homemade rig plus the Burgs so space was a bit of a problem.

Jeff
Jeff

schlep

jeff, I was going to ask you also is there different blades for sawing different types of wood, when I purchased the saw it came with one blade so I ordered 6 more of the same. As I am only cutting spruce is this the best blade for the job?

Puffergas

I think it comes with a 3/4 spacing. I also use the 7/8 spacing. They seem close but I might pick the 7/8.

Jeff
Jeff

backwoods sawyer

I stopped and talked with a burg owner today, he had a beautiful pacific yew log on it that he was setting up to mill. I will be by there again in the tomorrow as I have my mill set up over on the coast now. He seems to be real happy with his mill and had it set up on a concrete slab.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

schlep

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on February 22, 2010, 11:10:14 PM
I stopped and talked with a burg owner today, he had a beautiful pacific yew log on it that he was setting up to mill. I will be by there again in the tomorrow as I have my mill set up over on the coast now. He seems to be real happy with his mill and had it set up on a concrete slab.
If you go there again could you measure the distance between the two tracks. Woodbe says his is 62" wide, I phoned burg's and they are so busy I got his voicemail. He called  back the next day  and my wife took the call and understood 52" .So now before I start my trailer I want to be sure and the one I purchased is a 42" model

backwoods sawyer

He was not around today when I went thru, course it was pouring down rain and I had soaked thru, but I will be past there again tomorrow. Been milling Myrtle wood all day, after a while that stuff will make you light headed. Are you wanting outside measurement?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Puffergas

My 42" Burg has a 52" track.

Jeff
Jeff

schlep

Puffergas

Quotemy wife says - SO THERE

Never argue with the boss ! ! !

Jeff
Jeff

Desertbull

Schlep, HOW do you like your Burg mill? I am considering it and wanted your input now that you have had it awhile! (seeing your 2010 post!)
Thanks

Nebraska

Welcome to the forum,  Schlep hasn't  been  on the forum for a couple years so it might be a while before he answers. 
So what interests  you  about a Burg mill?
What are your plans for the pile of wood you will saw?

Thank You Sponsors!