iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spreader clamp as log clamp?

Started by tyb525, March 15, 2010, 11:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I'm looking for a rather cheap replacment for the standard log clamp supplied with the LT10 (and LT15).

Does anyone know of a heavy duty "spreader bar" of sorts that could be used as a log clamp? I.E. one that can be placed against the track of the mill and "spread" or extended to clamp the log. I'm think of some type of screw mechanism.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

kelLOGg

I'm not familar with the LT10 but robnrob's post about replacing his screw clamp with a cam clamp was very clever. search the FF for "screw clamp" and "cam" and you'll find the post by robnrob. It may help.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Busy Beaver Lumber

ty

I have read of others who had some difficulty with the LT-10 clamps, usually because they got bent by rolling a log over them while they were up. In several cases, i read where woodmizer replaced them free of cost. You may want to contact woodmizer about the clamps.

By the way, I will be in Indy on the 27th to pick up my new LT-10

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

tyb525

Fred,

Yes I have done that old drop the cant or log on the clamp trick...I never noticed any harm done, but I could be wrong?

It seems like I've always had difficulty clamping anything when the clamp had to be lower than about 3", it doesn't want to "bite" into the bed rail and slips. Or worse, it gives you the illusion that it is tight, till you start sawing, then it comes loose and the log or cant moves on you. >:(
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

timberfaller390

My first thought about putting something against the frame rail to "spread" woud be bending the rail or pushing it out of kilter enough to affect your cutting.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

tyb525

That is pretty much what the standard clamp does, I've noticed it before.

Thank You Sponsors!