iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with long story already.

Started by kajtek1, March 18, 2010, 09:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Hmmmm, 'nudder question for you Kaj.  Does that saw allow you to adjust the feed rate as you go?  The reason I ask is that on my MD, I have to slow down to a creep when I'm going into a big pine knot, especially in a dried out log.  Those knots will stop my saw cold if I hit them just right, even with 6 v-belts and 67hp driving those edger blades.  What happens on mine is that it will pull the saw deeper into the log and jam it against the bearing housing.  This only happens when the blade is near its maximum depth of 4ΒΌ".  It sounds like the logs you're working with are very similar to SYP.  I think that little play in your bearing may be the major cause of your grief, as I can't feel any play at all in mine, but slowing down for those knots will sharply decrease the drama.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

kajtek1

The electric feed has 2 set speeds. The DC motor slows down under heavier load, but I don't see the 25 HP engine running out of power because of knot. It is the blade diving like 3/4" and burning the wood on its sides that can kill the engine.
I took the front bearing out and tried to take the gear box apart, but looks to me that the builder welded a bracket all the way around the box and I can't disassemble it without cutting something. The box is filled up with white grease, so I don't really need it, but the shaft has some play on internal bearings as well.

ErikC

If your blade dove that much, especially several times, and burned the wood it probably overheated in a spot or two. Even if that wasn't the initial problem it might be now. You won't know if you have it fixed unless that blade gets checked out. ;) Save yourself a headache and have it done while you are working on the play in the gearbox, then try it all out and see how she cuts. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

kajtek1

It's been a long time and I guess I am not the only one who with bad economy didn't have much time for the hobby since getting more jobs and fighting home foreclosure took priority.
So the mill project was having rocky road to the success. After destroying the blade and saw flange on the steel block inside the log, I had my friend, who works in machine shop re-machine bend shaft and make me a new flange. Friend usually operate computerized mills, so turning the handles on oldfashion late wasn't his expertize. The flange had some play on the shaft, what took me some try by error experience. Solved that with threadlocker and regrinding the flange on the turning mill. Than turned out that center ring was too big and was bending the blade on installation. Again took me 1/2 of the day of work and 2 weeks of frustration.
BUT FINALLY the mill works perfect and I am finishing the siding for my new home. Fact that I have siding from the tree that grew on the property and I machine it myself is really reward for all the frustration after bad luck on learning new trade.
Could not succeed without help of this forum. Hopefully in few days I will post the picture of new siding on new house.
Thanks to all who spend their time to help me on this one.
Anybody want to buy a sawmill in San Francisco area?

Magicman

I'm anxious to see the finished product.  Congratulations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!