iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new project

Started by woodmills1, November 29, 2003, 05:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Back when we moved into this place, the existing door to the studio was too small to let some of our furniture pass through, so one of the first things I did was replace the door.  We call it the studio because the previous owner used it to do her photography.  The room is 20 x 30 with 10 foot ceilings.  Having only two speeds, off and full, I never got around to replacing the sheetrock that got destroyed during the door refit.

Kathy said, "fix up that door before the Thanksgiving party/bonfire".  But she quickly added, " add a window over the door cause we don't have any other way to ventalate the room.  So, new window goes in and sheetrock is repaired, but one look on the outside reminds me they just sheethed it with plywood so there is a new window and 2 year old door with no flashing or siding to protect it, bad!

Then I remember the small pile of pine live edge siding I cut for a customer who said it wasnt curvey enough.  He ended up giving me retail money for slabs from my burn pile.  Go figure. :D :D

Some quick figurin and sure enough there will be all the siding I need if I use 9 inches of exposure from the 12 to 14 inch live edge boards.  Everything lined up nice giving easy trims around the door, window, and light wire.  The worst part was trimming the edgeing board on the left to follow the surface of the existing siding on the facing wall.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Fla._Deadheader

Looks good to me, speshully the color match ::) ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dan-l-b

Looks Great to me Woodsmill,   Always feels good to use material on hand as compared to going out and having to buy something. :) :)

Kevin

Looks good.
Now you can get rid of that cement step and build that wooden deck that she has always wanted.  ;D

SasquatchMan

Kevin's right... there's a deck there that just hasn't happened yet!  That's excellent looking siding... are you going to treat it with some kind of oil or just leave it?
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Frank_Pender

I lke the contrast, and besides you can find the door more easily. :D :D :D
Frank Pender

woodmills1

I was gonna paint it but I think Kathy wants it natural so I will use deck wash on it and when the sticker stain blens in put sikkens clear on it.  By the way that is a hunk of a stone there not concrete, I was happy to find a relativley flat one in the woods.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

isawlogs

If'in you got or could get a hold of a pressure washer it will kleen that in a wink.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SasquatchMan

I'm not a fan of pressure washing anything on a house - it tends to drive water into places you don't want water.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

DanG

Nice job, Woodsie. I can see why the guy was disappointed with the "lack of movement" on those edges. He shouldn't have brought you such straight logs. :D  I had to look close to tell it is live edge in the pic.

Hey Frank and Paul!  You ever saw any of this stuff on the MD?  I got a guy that wants me to saw him out a couple of barns, and he would like some live edge on one of them. It's easy to get the live edge boards, but how do you get them all the same width with this type saw? ??? :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

I have used armoral(sp?) deck wash on cedar siding and it brings it right back to fresh appearance.  Just wiped it on with a brush and then later hosed it off.

Don't know about MD for live edge but on the mizer it is just a matter of through and through sawing then one pass edging with the desired bark side down.

Frank_Pender

I have sawed a great deal of live edge material.  To keep the approximate same width you would have to keep raising and lowering the carrage to keep uniformity in width.  Another idea would be to use logs very close in diamenter to the width of lumber you are seeking.  That way you could re-edge some of the wider boards with a table saw or find someone with an edger.

Iproduce a great deal of live edge material on smaller hardwood logs, like Maple and Cherry.  
Frank Pender

VA-Sawyer

Ok, so I'm stupid! Just what do you mean by "live edge" ?
Rick

Fla._Deadheader

It's also called natural edge or bark edge. Don't square up the edge of the board.  ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!