iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodworking Projects

Started by Bill_B, January 12, 2004, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I remember shop classes to in grade 8 and 9 at the intermediate school. We had lathes, sanders, planers, bandsaws, routers, jointers and so on. Now the government has put an end to that, so unless your dad or uncle has a shop the kids don't know what their missing. This has lead to the down fall of  alot of the trades around here, except welders. There are alot of small and medium sized welding shops in my area.  But a once thriving ship building industry and railway shops have all been closed up. Seems most all the governement is promoting and financing now is call centres, how useless a career could that be? Over the years alot of the tradesmen have been complaining that there are no new people entering the trades. The average age of most of the existing trademen is approaching in the 50's. I even know a fella who worked on the dry docks as a welder and he was beged to come back to work for the company as a supervisor. He was nearly 80 at the time. I guess that's what the government wants.

Funny how something can turn into a rant  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

Hey, you got a government like that too!
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

Basswood carvings

This Atlantic Salmon was carved by a friend of mine, the same gentleman than tied the flies above :)

This loon was carved from basswood and is the only carving I've ever done. Carving is delicate, tedious and requires alot of dedication and attention to detail. I have a long way to go. BTW, all basswood came from the woodlot :)

I've carved a few axe handles made of rock maple and canoe paddles made of yellow birch (carved by axe blade).  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Hi Bill_B

What glue did you use for your segments? Was it water based? in Granular? or Pearl form? Or straight from the squeeze bottle?

So many questions  :D

regards

EZ

Thanks for clearing that up for him, SwampDonkey.

Why would I or anybody hunt ants with a shotgun.
EZ

SwampDonkey

No problem EZ

Sometimes the language barrier confuses a person. I've seen that alot with trying to understand peoples' jokes from another country or culture, for example.

Take care  ;)

Stump Jumper

BEAUTIFUL PIECES GUYS!  8) 8)  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. :) :)

Swamp Donkey do you make your own flies too?

Jeff and Delcy
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Bill_B

SwampDonkey
I have not used the hollowing tool that you have.
I use yellow carpenters glue . It is ths same as Titebond. I am able to let the rings stant 30 minutes after gluing them turn on the lathe.
That is some nice work you have done.
Bill B

Bill_B

Here is a candy dish out of Walnut and Maple
Bill B

Bill_B

This is a 14inch PepperMill made of Walnut, Maple, Elm, Oak and Cherry
Bill B

Bill_B

Bill B

Bill_B

Bill B

SwampDonkey

@ Bill_B

Those are all very nice pieces of work, I gotta try that sometime when its warm again. I was wondering what glue to use and Titebond seems to be the stuff :) The other glue I mentioned is very fast setting and bonds real tite but Titebond would be better if you have to take time to position the pieces.

Thanks for the reply on that.

Alot of artisans turn out those burls into bowls and large ones they sometimes hollow out for coffee table bases with a glass top. There's a man in the Fredericton area that turns quite full of them and some of his yellow birch turnings have 'fox fire'. But once you dry the wood the fungus dies and it doesn't glow in the dark any longer. But, he has a market in New York for some of his pieces which they pay upward of $3,500 a piece, if you could imagine that.

Keep up the good works :)

@ stump Jumper

I have tied my own trout and salmon flies in the past, but hair-wing only. These flies in the picture with all the exotic feathers are $75 a piece. The hobby is quite expensive now. We used to buy those flies back in the 70's for $0.50 each. Ahh, the good ole days are no more. I used to substitue the jungle cockeye hackle with breast feathers of the ruffed grouse which was lighter in color. I use mostly deer, squirrel tail and calf tail for the wings.  I suppose you could snip a few hairs of the pet dog or cat if you wanted to.    ;D  ;D  ;D

regards

Bill_B

SwampDonkey    The eggs were what was left over from turning 5 bowls for a freind. Don't have the film developed yet.
Bill B

SwampDonkey

@Bill_B

Your going all out with your turnings, which is nice. In these cold winter days, it must be toasty warm in the shop  ;D

I have firewood and a stove in my shop, but I don't trust the flu any longer. Its ancient, and its not built from the floor up. Its base is mounted on a wooden pedistal 4 feet off the floor. Not my idea of a proper flu installation. At the time the building was constructed it had a gravel floor, that's why they suspended the flu.

keep on turnin.........

Thank You Sponsors!