iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locking dogs

Started by EZ, November 15, 2011, 05:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

What is used on most mills for the locking dogs, hyd. motors or cylinders.
Mine is 12 volt and its just not strong enough.
Rod

paul case

I don't know of any mfgers using electric motors for the clamp. most use cylinders  or hyd motors for the clamp.
my mill uses cam lock MANUAL clamps for now anyway. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

EZ

Thanks for the reply, Paul.
I put a 12 volt 2000 lb winch on my mill with a swing arm type arm. works pretty good except on the bigger logs.

YellowHammer

I put a 2000 lb 12 volt electric winch on my manual mill and it will drive a home made shuttle clamp well into the log or cant, if I let it.  Check out the thread below if you want to see what it looks like.  Pretty easy to build and doesn't lose any mechanical advantage, so a 2000 lb winch will clamp with one ton of force.  Stronger winch, more force, but I never needed it.  If you don't want to install the hydraulic cylinder and turn it into a two plane clamp, and only build the shuttle clamp, it will  cost almost nothing since you already have the winch.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53476.0.html

I never used manual clamps again, I took them off the mill.
I clamped logs almost 30 inches in diameter, no problem
Also have more pictures in my gallery.
YellowHammer
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

redbeard

Well done Yellowhammer those are some nice modifications. You have done with your mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

EZ

Nice job on your mill.
I put hyd. on my mill a few yrs back and the winch for the locking dog was before the hyds.
I just never took the time to put a hyd locking dog on.
Now with winter around the corner I'm going to do it, some how. It looks like a hyd motor will be the best and easyest way to do so.
Thanks for the pic of your mill.
Again, good job.
Rod

eastberkshirecustoms

Here is a photo of a home built two plane dog that uses hydraulic motors and chain for the up/down and in/out:

EZ

Thank you eastberkshirecustoms for posting that photo, that is just what I want to do with my mill.
Will the locking dog turn logs and if so what is the largest log you can turn.
Thanks again
Rod

eastberkshirecustoms

EZ

eastberkshirecustoms,
I've built my own bandmill that will mill a 40inch log, but I'll be DanG if I can figure out how to use the PM thing.
Everytime I try to reply in it I delete the PM message.
Sorry, and Thanks for the PM.
Rod

Thank You Sponsors!