iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making/Applying Shiplap...Update

Started by tcsmpsi, August 29, 2012, 02:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Ahhh.... :)....no, it has not yet been treated.  I will wait until it is all up, then, inside and out, whatever mold/mildew residues are there, I will spray with bleach, then spray the outside with diesel/oil mixture. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

EZland

tcsmpsi< Great looking sawmil shed.  I checked your gallery and nice work.    I downloaded one of your phot to make plans.  Love the lights too. 

Did you add those jacks to your sawmill or did it come with it.  I just bought an EZ Boardwalk Jr (simlar style mill)and would liek tot add something like that style or screw style.   Can you take a close up picture of the jack?  Are they stable when cutting? 
EZ Boardwalk Jr. 30", Husky 455, Kioti 5010 w, FEL , And I just moved to Ohio.and still looking for logs.

God is great!  I will never be as good as the "Carpenter's Son"

tcsmpsi

I ordered that mill special as it is.  They are quite stable.  Even more so on the wood floor, as I have them bolted down. 

When I have used it as a portable (which still only takes about 10 minutes to do), it was still quite stable.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

tcsmpsi

The building is now officially dried in, and with initial finish applied to the two outside walls.

Next, will be the electrical.  I have the wire run for the breaker box.  That's about all I will be able to do on the building for a while.  I have to cut some trees and mill some logs for myself and others for a bit.  And, it is hunting season, and slow as its been in town, certainly, I have to be here as much as possible to catch what comes through.   ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Can you show a closeup of how you nailed it up. Did you put a nail in the top groove and then face nail?

Thanks, great looking project!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

tcsmpsi

It is all nailed with 3" framing nails from a Duo Fast nail gun right slap dab through the siding faces.   :D  Except for the door trim, which is nailed into the door jamb with 2 1/2" 16 ga T nails from a Grizzly finish nailer. 

grweldon

Magnificent!  Awesome looking building!  I can only hope mine will look that good, just much less dramatic!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

A remodeler's dream...nightmare?    :D   A lot of challenging tieing-in/fitting/plumbing/squaring. 

Just another adventure in wood. 

Fortunately, it is put together intentionally cognizant of giving the inside the most ease of fitting.   ;D   I only have enough material milled for the inside ceilings, and some of the trees I'll be cutting will go to the rest of the inside. 

Of course, that door on the bottom was added 'just in case' I add on a bit more, some time or another.   ;)

routestep

Very impressive shop you have built.

I shiplapped boards for a 14ft  by 24ft  shed. Instead of using the router I used a small Dewalt table saw and a dado head set. I think I used 3/4 inch for the shiplap. I built a two foot wide by 22 feet long table for infeed and out feed and mounted the saw in the middle just a table height. I made a fence like you used on your setup and started lapping boards.

grweldon

I was thinking of doing something very similar, but I won't be using pieces that long, probably 12' at most.  That will put my in and outfeed tables at just over 12'.  I have a couple of dado heads, one is a stacked type, one is a wobble type.  The stacked head leaves grooves in the lap, while the wobble is smooth, but not prefectly square.  When I get to that point, I'll have to test and see which works the best...

Routstep, If you have pics of the shed, it would be great to see them...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

tcsmpsi

The primary reason I used the router, rather than a dado, was that I had pretty random widths of boards and some had the occassional dallywhoops from the mill (sawing a bit too fast/too dull/good ol' resinous SYP) that the router would better accomodate.  Once I had it set, I never had to reset it.  That big ol' bit from Grizzly and that Makita router never slowed.  When I first started making shiplap with that method, I really didn't have a lot of 'hope' it would cut so willingly the full cut in a pass.  Especially as some I made for the inside of another structure had 1 1/4" wide cuts.

routestep

I do have some pictures in an album. The old camera my brother had broke, so I haven't posted any pictures since on the forum. It's been a few years. I'll see if I can use a new electronic camera, take a picture of a picture and figure out how to post. It will be a while, I'll be out of town a few days working.

I used a stack dado also and there were some ripples in the cut, but they didn't interfer with fitting the shiplaps together. A router would make a smoother cut, but I could really zip along with the table saw. Seems like everything is a tradeoff.

Thank You Sponsors!