iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 Auto clutch stuck on

Started by FactorySeconds, January 03, 2023, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FactorySeconds

2019 LT40HD

So there I was milling away and I finish my last cut, flip the switch to disengage the blade and nothing happens. The blade keeps going no matter how many times I flip the switch or swear at it. I removed the switch and tested it with a voltmeter (after I called and ordered a new switch of course) and it tested fine. I reinstalled it and the issue remains. I'm guessing the motor that tilts the engine has given up but I'm unsure exactly how I'd go about testing that. 

Has anyone had this issue and solved it or would the more experienced have a clue as to how to narrow in on where the problem is exactly? Electrics are my weakest area of skill.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GAB

Quote from: beenthere on January 03, 2023, 05:00:45 PM
Reading again, and can't help.
You and me both.
I hope FS keeps us posted as to the solution to this problem.
I'm going to keep an eye on this one so if I have the same problem I'll be prepared as to what to do.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

caveman

FactorySeconds, I'm not sure if this is what yours is doing, but on our lt-50, a sensor on the autoclutch system failed.  What ours did was cycle the blade and throttle on and off regardless of the switch position.  Our situation is described in the thread below.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=75580.msg1909552#msg1909552 
Caveman

Magicman

You tested the switch with your multimeter but did you make any voltage readings?

You could have a wire that has rubbed as the unit tilts to engage the clutch.  This would trip the auxiliary breaker which is under the front lower cover of the control box.  It should be the center breaker.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

Don't know about the 2019 but the older models had a microswitch activated by a cam on the side of the gearbox. The microswitch may have trash around it, need adjusting, or might be bad. You should be able to find the location in the auto clutch owners manual.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Ok, read the microswitch adjustment procedure. There are two of them. One for engage and one for disengage. I seem to remember mine getting fouled up with sawdust and not allowing them to work.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Also check the posts on the electric motor to see if they are loose. Check the posts themselves as well as the leads. If one of the posts has gotten loose the motor geres no juice. If you find a post loose don't let it spin as you tighten the nut or you'll cause problems. 

FactorySeconds

Thanks for all the responses! I just got into work for the day and will update with whatever solution might be the issue. Though I might choose sharpening until this rain gets gone.

FactorySeconds

After diligently checking all the suggestions posted here I gave woodmizer a call. We ran through some things and narrowed it down to either the Mosfet or the disengage sensor. I was emailed the toubleshooting guide for my specific problem and after a little while I'm almost certain it's the mosfet. 

I'm just waiting for a callback to double check that I was testing correctly before I order another part I don't need. That spares box does come in handy though so the more spares the better.

I'll update if it's something else. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm sure they'll come in handy down the road.

For those that care the mill has around 1900hrs

Thank You Sponsors!