iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM: Shiplap - Rough Cut

Started by Lost in the Outback, April 19, 2013, 10:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost in the Outback

Hello
Thank You for inviting me into your Forum. June, 1976 I started working full time in the bush and actually getting paid for it. Back then Dad always said I was getting a free education by working along side him. It certainly paid off. At 53 I waved good bye and retired. Now I'm busier then ever.

My question would be; Has anyone sawed shiplap with a chain saw mill? I constructed my own csm which works great.

I have an abundant amount of cedar logs and have been told I need to re-side my work shop.

Any advice would be appriciated.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds."

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi LITO,

Welcome to the FF! 

CSM are wonderful tools, we use them often. However, they do have there limitations.  We tend to use them for timber frame work.  They do a really good job of making big beams, or making really wide cuts in locations that may be hard to access.  If you have to make many cuts, like making siding, they are very limited.  It can be done, but probably is not cost effective in either time or money. 

If you are limited in not being able to get a mill to your location, and need to make siding, I would recommend just sawing boards, and not trying to bevel the cut in anyway.  Also, consider vertical siding.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
The only thing I've ever milled with the chainsaw was either thick slabs or slicing logs into halves and quarters.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Lost
Welcome to the Forestry Forum too.

Would be interested to hear more about the shiplap, and how much lap you would like.

Which cedar are you planning to saw?

Pics of your csm would be great. We like pics. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

millwright

I've made a lot of shiplap by using a dado blade on a table saw, it goes pretty fast and you can make any size lap.

losttheplot

I have also cut a lot of ship lap on a table saw with a dado blade.
The mistake I made was using boards a full 1 inch thick.

I made vertical siding with a ¼ -3/8"th's reveal and the channel is ½" deep.
The shadow lines are so deep it just looks like boards with a ¼" gap.  :(

I had the same problem with my shop ceiling.
It's clad with 8" boards and again the reveal is so deep it's hard to see the wood at the bottom of the channel.

It is also a lot of wood to remove, the dry Douglas-fir took 3 or 4 passes for each dado.

Next time I would use ¾" boards planned to 5/8ths.

For exterior siding I would just cut 1" boards and install lap siding or board and batten.

If you have good western red cedar you can hand split 1"boards with a froe.
shakes go pretty fast with good wood, and make decent siding.

hope this helps.
LTP
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Thank You Sponsors!