iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adding 12v winch to logrite arch

Started by jdonovan, June 02, 2013, 12:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdonovan

I've picked up a T36 arch to help move the big logs around and get them to where we can process them. Works great... but the manual winch is a bit of a workout with the big logs. Even with the doubler option setup its more than some of my helpers can manage. The main frame is a 2" receiver tube, and I've looked at getting a quick mount winch on a 2" cradle. Logrite specifically says it was designed to do this.

A winch on the main tube looks great for pulling the arch to a log, or skidding a log to the arch, but the angle of pull (90 degrees) seems all wrong for using the electric winch to pick up the log. I know the 90 degree turn under load is not good for the aircraft cable on most winches. Perhaps a synthetic line would be more tolerant of the sharp turn?  In any case there would have to be a roller fairlead there to ease the turn.

I think I'd like to keep the manual winch for holding the log in place for transport as the positive locking of the manual winch would be more secure than a friction brake on the electric winch.

Before a I go out and try and rig something up, has anone else done this, and know a method that works?

Andy White

Jdonovan
TThis setup is what I used on my homemade arch. It is a 3000# ATV winch with a roller mounted on the end where it drops down to attach to the log. I use a belly chain to keep the log weight off the cable when hauling the log.Also is a snatch block to double cable for the really heavy logs. I have hauled many 26"&27" x 10'&12' oak logs with no problems. Maybe this will work for you.     Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Chuck White

Nice arch Andy.

I like the winch and the hitch dolly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdonovan

Quote from: Andy White on June 02, 2013, 12:38:24 PM
This setup is what I used on my homemade arch. It is a 3000# ATV winch with a roller mounted on the end where it drops down to attach to the log. I use a belly chain to keep the log weight off the cable when hauling the log.Also is a snatch block to double cable for the really heavy logs.

I found your setup before I posted, and it looks nice, but not easy to implement on the logrite due to the support they have above the main beam.

Sixacresand

I switched to a chain type come-along as my primary arch lifting device because I got skiddish of cables on the winch snapping and whip lashing.  I still use a hand winch for the front secondary lifting. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

trapper

Sixacresand is that a hoop house for growing vegtables in the background?  Use any plans to make it?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

beenthere

6 acres
Do you have pics of the arch build?
I didn't find a gallery for you, so maybe under a different name?
I thought your build was posted a while back.
thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sixacresand

Quote from: trapper on June 08, 2013, 07:18:00 PM
Sixacresand is that a hoop house for growing vegtables in the background?  Use any plans to make it?
We germinated garden seed during the late winter in the "hoop" house.  I didn't have any plans.  Basically, there are wooden frames on the ends to staple polyethylene to.  The inside ribs are just bent over PVC pipe slipped over short lengths of rebar driven into the ground.  I buy a 20' wide roll of polyethylene and design the frame to accommodate the width.  Sometimes I stack/sticker lumber there to let it dry.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

Quote from: beenthere on June 08, 2013, 08:11:14 PM
6 acres
thanks
I didn't post of any photos of my arch build but I do remember someone did post photos of their build.  They did a lot neater job than me.

Sixacresand

Quote from: beenthere on June 08, 2013, 08:11:14 PM
6 acres
thanks
Beenthere,  I couldn't find my album either.  I found my gallery profile settings were set to private, which I changed.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

Piston

I'm not sure if this thread will help at all but I added a 12v winch to my homemade arch. I should have asked questions beforehand like you are doing though  :D. I went through a lot of trouble to mount my winch the way I did (speaking of wiring) then found out I really should have done it differently.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,45388.20.html
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

jdonovan

Yours was a thread I found and had read for some ideas.

Most of the home built arches have a winch over the top of the 'backbone' and that design won't work as easily on the logrite.

I did contact logrite, and got some ideas, and have the components in the shop. If the new truck gets here before the weekend, I might be up at the farm and be able to hook things up and see how it goes.

Thank You Sponsors!