iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lane no1

Started by adam p, January 09, 2015, 09:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam p

Hi im looking for a sawyers favorite for a lane no 1 sawmill. Can anyone help?

drobertson

I will have to ask, what are you speaking about?  This brings nothing to mind for me, but sounds like an interesting question,, sorry, and welcome to the beginning of a wealth of information.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

As suggested, can you be more explicit as to what you are searching for?

Your location in your bio will help too, as knowing what country you are from will help, and where in general within that country will help with responses to your questions. thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moshea

Are you looking for one to purchase, or just information about one?

If information: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=32228.0 would be a good topic to read through.
Home blended Hand-set circle mill, pto-driven.

47sawdust

adam p-
LWI Metal Works
76 Houle Ave.
Morrisville,Vermont
!-802-888-2394

They have all the old stock from Lane Mfg.They also have the patterns for fabbing new parts.They are knowledgeable,friendly ,and do quality work at a fair price.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

dgdrls

Excited to see a circle mill inquiry 8)
Here is some Lane history
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=513&tab=0
here is a thread with some of the same information you had
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=32228.0

Best
DGDrls

samandothers

Moshea and Adam P

Welcome both!  That is great a new guy answering a new guy!  Way to jump in.

moshea

:laugh: I'm only new-ish.  I've been absorbing for a year, and finally saw one I could help with, mostly because I remember reading just about every circle mill thread in the archive.

Home blended Hand-set circle mill, pto-driven.

JSNH

I could be wrong but I thought I saw one at Member Bandmiller's place a few years ago. I have one but it's on my Lane # 1. I do have some spare #100 and page belting head blocks.

bandmiller2

Brother John has the eyes of a hawk. I did have a sawyers favorite several years ago but it was a sorry condition with many brazed parts and no shortage of rust and it left with a load of cast. If my memory serves me the favorite is like a screw dog with a built in taper and heavy as ell. I would hate to have to buy one new. I chose not to use or rebuild it instead used a Chace screw dog. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JSNH

Yep I did see one. I did not look it over since I had one. It give good leverage for a taper but if you don't fully set it back you are going to take out your blade. The previous owner did that. I have been more careful. Mine doesn't hold the dogs in very well I need to fiddle with it. Sharpen and replace the springs. My opinion I would not bother installing one.

bandmiller2

That explains why most of the favorites I've seen are chewed up. I'am not sure if my screw dog is a Lane or a Chase but I do 90% of my dogging with it. If you watch experienced sawyers on a handset mill they do minimal dogging, your first cut on a round log is the most critical and last board. Adam keep your eyes open there are other options other than the favorite for a set beam mill. When you see an old circular mill stop and ask as most sawyers have spare stuff kicking around. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Adam, you didn't say where your located, a favorite would be a bear to ship they must weigh 150-200 pounds. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!