iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Pole Barn

Started by Glenn1, August 03, 2015, 03:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

We decided that a pole barn was needed to dry our lumber before putting it into the kiln.  The size is 38' x 62'.  My stepsons and I put the 6"x6" posts in the ground but I was leery about sending them to stand atop the headers while the trusses were being loaded and I wasn't going to do it.  I found a reliable  framing crew of 4 who showed up early each of the 3 days and did very good job.  Now, it's just waiting for the corrugated metal roof to arrive in about 10 days.  I ordered it in a dark green to blend in with the foliage (in the summer months).  I have lots of walnut, cherry, and sycamore waiting to be cut.  It's been lots of planning but I am finally seeing the light.   8)

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

hackberry jake

That looks amazing. I am in need of something like that myself.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

samandothers

Wow great size barn!  Those are some good size trusses! My brothers and I set mine but they were only 24' span, not 38'.  Framing crew was a good call.

Look forward to following your progress.  I am in the throws of sawing siding from poplar.  It is full of stress which is giving me stress. :D

xlogger

Glenn, you do go all out on your projects. Nice shed. How long before we see a mill under it?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Glenn1

Quote from: xlogger on August 03, 2015, 08:35:26 PM
Glenn, you do go all out on your projects. Nice shed. How long before we see a mill under it?

It was take 2-3 weeks until the metal roof arrives and is installed.  Then the skids start moving in.  The end of August looks like a good date.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WDH

Glenn, that is awesome.  You are really getting set up nicely.  I am impressed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

There,that will give you some drying space.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

canadianwoodworks

Beautiful, well done.

Just what the doctor ordered!

flatrock58

Nice shed.  I am going to build a 30 x 60 shed for my mill and drying lumber.  Just waiting on the grader to get time to look at it.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

flatrock,

It never ends  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

I received my metal roof a few days ago.  My son and I talked about the best way to put it up but my son amazed me.  He got half of it up Sat. and the other half with a friend on Sunday.  We were supposed to get metal for the gables but it was not in the shipment.  Now we think that it would look better with board and batten construction.  Eventually, half the barn will be walled in and then it should tie together nicely.  I am thinking about poplar because it is resistant to carpenter bees. (I hate carpenter bees!)  Another option is eastern red cedar for rot resistance but I am not sure how it will handle the bees.  Any thoughts?

Andy White

Glenn1,
The bees literally ate the facias off of our house in Orange. It was unpainted and untreated ERC. After the bees finished, the woodpeckers came for the larvae and finished them off. Replaced all, and had exterminator spray with something, and not a bee since that day, except a few dead ones that tried to drill the treated wood.  YMMV
Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Glenn1

Quote from: Andy White on August 16, 2015, 07:59:51 PM
Glenn1,
The bees literally ate the facias off of our house in Orange. It was unpainted and untreated ERC. After the bees finished, the woodpeckers came for the larvae and finished them off. Replaced all, and had exterminator spray with something, and not a bee since that day, except a few dead ones that tried to drill the treated wood.  YMMV
Andy

Hi Andy,

We live in a log house so I know what you mean.  Lately, we have used seven dust in the holes followed by a small ball of aluminum foil.  It does the trick.  We found that the woodpeckers actually made a larger mess per hole.  Yellowhammer told me on a recent visit that poplar is resistant to the carpenter bees and termites .  When I close in half of the barn, I may have to build a small wall from concrete so that the poplar does not touch the ground.  I have read that it will rod if it gets continually wet.  I wonder if it would help to have the poplar pressure treated.  Have not  heard anything about that application and I am not even sure if it would help. 

WDH

The poplar should be fine up on the gable.

xlogger

Really nice looking shed there Glenn. Section we off a corner and I'll bring some slabs up there to dry :). Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

That is a very nice shed.  I am with WDH, use Poplar.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Glenn1

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!