iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite ZIP

Started by Clockwork, November 15, 2004, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockwork

just got a big old saw. it is the saw that has been sitting on my dads garage shelf for years. when i was a kid i always liked it and wanted dad to use it but he never did because he had more practical saws to use. anyway he cleaned the garage out yesterday and gave it to me. hasn't been run in about 18 years but it was reringed just about that time. it is a Homelite ZIP. any info on this saw? is it a decent saw? i want to get it running just because, any tips? thanks-ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

Ianab

First place to look for info on old chainsaws is this page
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf?OpenDatabase
Dig down thru the listings by manufacturer and you will find info on the Homelite  ZIP

Dont know if I'd like to actually USE an old beast like that, but sure would be fun to tinker with ;)

Good luck  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clockwork

yeah, im pretty sure ill never actually use it seriously since i have a much more practical husky 61. like to have it running for the novelty. dad never used it because it was big, heavy, slow and cantankerous. outclassed by even much smaller saws of today, but a real tractor he says.
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

sawguy21

If you get that first cousin to a Sherman tank started, lay it on the log, tie the throttle open and go for lunch. We have one on our wall of honour at the store and I don't want to lift it, let alone run it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Shannon_Billman

I have one of these old homelite zip saws myself "yours should have a year on it "I have a 1959 82cc displacement 5.6 h.p. . they are indestructable! they also look alot heavier than they really are .the powerhead only weighs around 20 pounds. I think my new stihl 660 is just 2pounds lighter .I am sure the ones who bad mouth the power should consider any saw of this age ,runs alot better with a fresh set of points & fresh piston $rings.I own my own tree business I started just doing it weekends & did not have alot of fancy stihl saws.I had a 2100homelite42" zip24" super925 24"& a little xl for a climbing saw.When my new stihl saws let me down "wich hardly ever happens ! I dont hesitate to grab one of those old vintage homelites,and some good ear plugs!!!!! those old basterds make alot of noise! throw a good 404 chiselchain on that ol'hog it'll cut.

Thank You Sponsors!