iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guitar for auction in support of forum

Started by Coach, October 17, 2016, 12:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach

In a month or so I'll start work on a guitar build that once completed will be auctioned off on the forum, with proceeds in support the forum.  Kudos to forum member hackbarry Jake, as he has born the major piece of the cost (sent me a pile of great looking Osage Orange). It'll take a year or so to finish this off, mostly evenings, a few minutes here, a few minutes there.

So I'll end up putting in around 120 hours of my time.  Jake has supplied me with a number of Osage guitar sets, so that's my payment.  There is an opportunity for others who what to contribute to the build.  I will need wood for the neck, and tuning machines.  Suitable neck wood is high grade quarter sawn Cherry or Walnut.  The tuners I would suggest are good quality Gotoh.  Other than that, I would suggest a decent guitar case.  Electronics are also an option. Shipping cost with be around $100, so we'll need to decide who pays for that. 

I'll build a guitar loosely based on the Martin D28.  The soundboard will be Spuce (likely Lutz), the back and sides will be Osage Orange.  Binding will be curly Maple with herringbone purfling.

So how to go about this:

I'd suggest I build the guitar, posting pics of the progress.  Once completed I'll get some clips with a pro player doing a demo and commenting on it.  Then auction.

Magicman

We have been anxiously awaiting this build since Jake got his.  Jake's guitar build  This thread will be very interesting to follow.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

I don't play but like to look at things cant wait to see the curly maple with the other wood and how there built   and thanks for helping out the FF

thecfarm

More details and pictures to follow. I hope.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I'll be following this one for sure, what a great project.

brianb88

I am looking forward to following this build.
Measure twice, cut once

Coach

WDH

Give some specifications (dimensions) of the wood that you need. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coach

For neck wood:  Quartersawn with no knots, faults, or twists.  36" length x 3" width x 1" thickness will give you the neck in drawing #3.  Would be great to avoid having to laminate the heel, but that would require a 3" thick block (drawing #2).

The quartersawn grain should be running up and down, not across.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I built a guitar out of Sweet Gum once. It played by itself for 3 months.  :D

I like your work Coach. You got my attention.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Coach

Finally finished off a guitar I've been building for my uncle. D28 style bracing, with Indian Rosewood back and bearclaw Lutz top, herringbone perfling and curly Maple binding. The finish on there is a product called Royal Lac, which is shellac with a added hardener.

I'll get started on the auction guitar shortly.

Magicman

I know nothing about guitars, but I do know pretty!   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

brianb88

Measure twice, cut once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll start the bid if your ready....... ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

That's beautiful
I could play my country song I wrote
The Ballard of Brenden Scott Uncle Dicky don't eat shake and bake like we do
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Coach

Quote from: Bruno of NH on February 23, 2017, 08:49:57 AM
That's beautiful
I could play my country song I wrote
The Ballard of Brenden Scott Uncle Dicky don't eat shake and bake like we do

I like ballads.  Do you have a link to a sound clip?

Coach

Hey guys, it's over a year later but I've started the build.  Sides are bent, back joined, top joined and rosette installed.  I'll be gluing up the back this month and the top next month.  Expect to be done towards the end of June. 

I know this has been delayed for years at a time, but this time it'll get done.  Reason being I'm teaching a high school guitar building course where all the students build their own acoustic guitar.  The guitar I'm putting together will be the auction guitar.

Magicman

Hilltop366

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

8)
Wa  Hoo!
Thanks for supporting the forum.
8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Banjo picker

After you get the guitar done, you can start on a banjo.  Every body should have a banjo; they should be issued just like birth certificates.   ;)  Looking forward to seeing the guitar.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I have a Banjo.  Can't play it and it doesn't even have strings, but I have one.  Has Wizard written on it so I guess that it is a Wizard Banjo.  It hangs on the wall at the Cabin so I guess that it is a Cabin Wizard Banjo.  ;D

I don't have a Guitar.  Can't play one, but I guess that I will bid on this one.  I could hang it...........    :)

Banjo picker

I have a couple of wall hangers myself, but you can play em if you want to.  The ole banjo belonged to my mothers uncle...his grand daughter gave it to me.  The hanger guitar was given to me by a dear friend.  I also got players  8)  Debbie has a mandolin and 2 upright bases.  I think I have 4 fiddles, one is going to my grand daughter when she gets old enough to take care of it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Hilltop366

An old banjo / fiddle player from around here will tell banjo jokes in between songs.

A couple of them are "perfect pitch is when you can throw a banjo and hit an accordion"

What is the difference between a banjo and a trampoline.... you take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

Glad you got your mill going again!

LaneC

Not trying to hijack. Banjo picker, do you play Scruggs or Clawhammer? I have learned Cripple Creek and love the banjo now. The jokes are really funny. I have heard quite a bit and laugh every time, I would love to hear more. I would love to bid on that guitar but knowing the time effort and craftsmanship going in to it I cannot right now. Just a thought, we usually auction a gun off for our Lodge. We get raffle tickets made and then a lot of folks can get 100 dollars worth (or much less ) and still have a chance to win it.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Coach

Magicman

A raffle would depend upon the legal issues in Michigan.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 18, 2018, 10:25:48 AM
A raffle would depend upon the legal issues in Michigan.

We raffle anything off down here.  ;D

sandhills

Even goats??  :o ;)
I also like the idea of the raffle, I've seen many fundraisers around here that do much better on free will offerings than other types but auctions are fun too.  I don't play guitar and as was already stated couldn't afford one with that kind of craftsmanship but wouldn't mind buying in on a chance to win it.  Doesn't matter but I'll stay tuned.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on January 18, 2018, 02:15:07 PM

.......Doesn't matter but I'll stay tuned.

Now thats funny!  :D :D :D  Get it? ......Guitar?......Stay tuned?...... :D :D :D smiley_guitarist
Hopefully the Guitar will stay tuned.  ;D.......get it WDH?  :D

Magicman

A raffle can only be conducted by a registered charitable organization in MS.  Don't know about anywhere else.  Goat butts are free so I guess that is charitable enough in SC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 18, 2018, 02:46:29 PM

Goat butts are free.

Hey now....I'm a good Goat. I have never lowered my standards to where its free!
I charge for it....$300.  :D :D :D

Jeff

As of last week, I now have a balalaika.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Novascotiamill

Wow ,I think I would of enjoyed shop a lot more in school making a guitar. Thats quite a skill you have . I spend some idle time torturing a Takamine Pro series......unfortunately the pro part didnt transfer to the player. Hopefully some form of NAFTA will stay together in case it goes to the US !
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

starmac

MM, it was my understanding that Texas had the same law on raffles, but that was some years ago, not sure anymore.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Banjo picker

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 18, 2018, 09:29:11 AM
An old banjo / fiddle player from around here will tell banjo jokes in between songs.

Glad you got your mill going again!
WDH, I believe that is me. 

I definitely play Scruggs style.   :D  It would have to be cause that is my last name. ;)  But yes three finger Scruggs style as they say.  Banjo

LaneC

I am on the clawhammer style, the OT (old time ) music.  MM, being that I am from Mississippi, being Charitable AND a Registered Voter ;), would that make the raffle legal?

Woodcutter_Mo

I doubt I'd be able to bid on it but if it we're to be raffled off I would certainly be interested in buying tickets  8)

I play guitar a little as well as my brother. I just like playing along with songs by ear mostly, fun hobby.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Jeff

Michigan laws makes it prohibitive on a raffle because of it being a form of gambling. Way to many fiery hoops to jump through to do it

LaneC

Roger that. Sorry I brought it up, I should have thought about that I guess. It never crossed my mind as to being a legal issue.

sandhills

Or mine as well, I think it could have made a tremendous amount but all is still good and can't wait to see the finished product!  I'll push it as far as I can, I have a plan  ;).

Woodcutter_Mo

I had'nt thought of the raffles being a problem in some areas. Anyhow, I'll be following this thread to see the finished guitar. Can't wait to see it's progress. 8)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Coach

WDH

Magicman

I agree Danny.  It's mind boggling to me!   :o

LaneC

Coach

Putting the finishing touches on these.

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Coach

Went to bed very disapointed yesterday.  I had put the finishing touches on, hung it up to dry and the darn thing dropped.  The only good thing is it landed right on the tail block and seemingly only damaged the top.  Cracking stops right at the braces, so the structure doesn't seem compromised and it may be fixable.

Lucky I built 2 of these, so one left for the forum.  This one was the nicer one though, work was cleaner.  Over a hundred hours in this thing.

Weekend_Sawyer

Ouch!
How do you fix that?

Beautiful work.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!