iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beauty and boardfeet

Started by bandmiller2, December 19, 2008, 07:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How many of you guys drve along admiring nice straight trees and estimating the boardfeet??.Most sawyers that have milled many logs can look at one and come pretty close on the boardfeet.mayby not legal for trade ,but good enough for many jobs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I do that all the time!

Once in a while when I might be at a friends house and I'm looking, he'll say "don't get any ideas"!

I still have to look!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Meadows Miller

Gday

Frank and Chuck I do it all the time but i work in that bloody metric systm ;) :D :D ;D chuck ive had that same Dont get any ideas with my trees line a few times  :D ;D  But there are some trees i size up are just better looking for their form as a tree  ;) ;D 

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Bothy_Loon

I do that over here to, only not in board feet!  ;D

WH_Conley

I don't beleive it would be possible to be in this business and not eyeball the victim, er, eh, beauty of nature. ;)
Bill

Tom

There is hardly a stick growing that I don't mentally translate into lumber.  I'll have to admit that I don't convert it into Board feet, but into the pretty boards that I think are in there. 

Boardfootage, to me, is more of an accounting thing.  It's only important when translating lumber into dollars.  I seldom do that  when I first see a log.  My first inclination is to think, "what is in this thing"?

The only time that I've found myself thinking Board Feet is when I see a monstrous tree.

Cedarman

When I see a cedar thicket, I see not only lumber,but also peeled poles, unpeeled poles, mulch, house logs, big beams, all red lumber, clear lumber , and architectural logs.  It is such a delight.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Average dominant grown 40 cm New Brunswick balsam fir, 1 m3. That is a common question at forestry seminars when they have gifts to hand out. Volume actually doubles from 30 cm to 40 cm, that's why it's important to grow your trees to their potential.

Reminds me of an old insurance I have. It did almost nothing for interest for 25 years, now it almost doubles every 5 years. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I'm in Tom's camp on this one. I don't think a whole lot about the footage, just about the nice lumber or maybe a nice timber, that might be hiding in there. 8) I was talking to a friend of mine outside his barn one day, and I told him point blank I was going to come for his pine trees one day, hoping to get a rise. He said "you know, they are awfully close to the barn". ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

I keep the climbing gear in the truck and have been known to pull it out and strap it on so I can go up and get a closer look. I get a rise out a friend of mines wife every time I pull out the climbing gear near HER Myrtlewood tree.
The other day I had to turn around and take a second look at a grove of tall straight black oak that are in some soft soil. Looks like the whole grove is starting to tip over. Never really thought of board footage just the quality of wood in them.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

SwampDonkey

Yeah I think of trees as "quality" or "poor" as well. Up here there isn't enough "quality", the way woodlots have been hacked and our harsh climate doesn't help. Only time I think volumes is when I'm cruising with a tape. I look at my own trees the same and see a poor one and wish I had a saw right then to snip it off. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

When I drive around I do a quick estimate. My wife looks at it more from the point of view of-" how nice would that lumber be?" So between us there isn't one decent tree anywhere nearby that hasn't been mentally sawn. ;D. My dad worked in sawmills almost 30 years running drykilns, so he's just as bad.
  I hate to say this but maybe all those laws about cutting trees were written for folks like us! :o

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Meadows Miller

Gday

Eric the laws are to make Urban Dwellers feel better about themselfs mate 6 years ago my family got locked out of the bush because Someone in power was grabbing for votes  ;)  :( to make a national park  ::) as they said there is only 15% of the original forest cover of that type of dryland forest left in the state  ;) now no one cared to state for the record that that 15% was put in to pemenant forestry 110 years ago  ::) and the other 85%  went on land clearing for farms and urban devlopment  :o and that the spiecies that they thought where going to go extinct or where was about to wasent Anywhere near our area  ::) and that no extictions have been documented in Aus where a extiction has occured due to loging or timber industry activitys  ::) :( >:( the block we where in at the time my family had selectivley logged 6 times over 4 generations of of my family  ;) ;D it makes you wonder dont it  ::) ::)  :) :) :)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!