iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm going to make the jump.

Started by Bruno of NH, March 01, 2021, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm going to try and build to kilns this spring one for firewood my idea and design. 
Right or wrong . It will be small to see if my ideas work and are cost effective enough. 
Then a second one to dry sawn wood. It won't be solar.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

What is your idea? A firewood kiln is a good idea
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

As of this morning I own a Ebac Ld 800 DH kiln unit.
The chamber will be built in the spring.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Mooseherder

What price would a cord of firewood have to be sold at to make a profit?   And how big of a structure to handle the volume needed?
The big money here for Kiln Dried firewood is the small bundles sold in retail stores.  7.99 this year.  

Hilltop366

From learning to walk to making the jump! I always admire your resolve sir. :)

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 03, 2021, 05:24:34 PM
What price would a cord of firewood have to be sold at to make a profit?   And how big of a structure to handle the volume needed?
The big money here for Kiln Dried firewood is the small bundles sold in retail stores.  7.99 this year.  
I can make $100 to $140 more for dried firewood. 
No money in selling it green .
Or I can't see how folks make money . Pay over $100 a cord for the logs and sell for $180 
A cord. I'm not cutting , splitting and delivering for $80 . That's without taking out gas, oil , bar oil , chains ect. 

Mooseherder

Yeah,  I process 2 or 3 cords per year with a gas splitter mostly from blow downs for the camp.
I get the logs for free and the work involved doesn't add up to being worth it if I was selling I've often thought.   I dunno how people replace equipment and have a vehicle making deliveries at what's being charged.  I've thought about putting kindling bundles for sale by the road but after I do kindling for myself I've had enough of that task. :D

Larry

I had a Ebac LD-800 about 20 years ago.  Bought it used and ran it for 10 years with no problems.  Sold it to another guy that I know ran it for at least another 5 years.  It was a money maker for small loads.  600 board foot was my max.

My container was tight and insulated.  The kiln would overheat and shut down until I figured it out.  Put in a line voltage thermostat which operated a dust collector to bring in fresh air and cool it down.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

tacks Y

I have one Ebac 800, seemed to work in the shop put in the kiln and makes no water. Need to drag out and ck it again. Tried to speed things up on cool days.

Peter Drouin

Good for you. I'm going to do the same for lumber, Slowly cut back on my 8' to 16' inventory.
I want more time to ride. :D ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!