iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ticks sprays

Started by mike_belben, April 04, 2021, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Is there any readily available, do-all industrial bulk insect spray akin to glyphosate for foliage..  Except intended for fleas, ticks, chiggers etc?  

Id like to spray a 4ft wide walking path via ATV sprayer tank.   The trail could be leafblowed to bare dirt before application.  Lonestars and chiggers are a seasonal plague. 
Praise The Lord

btulloh

I like talstar for that sort of thing. Good stuff but pretty friendly. Liquid concentrate. Also comes in granular. Sevin will work but it's more broad spectrum. 
HM126

btulloh

Ticks like to hang out on lower branches and grass stalks so either clear those or spray 'em. 
HM126

farmfromkansas

I get a spray called Tempo at the coop, it is expensive but you use a tiny bit.  Wonder if my atv and boom sprayer would work to get rid of the ticks, spraying Tempo?  Use it on trees for bag worms, it even has ppb on the label, course they would have to be out in the open.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Tom King

Hy Yield 38 has been my standby for years, and it still works.  It's a permethrin concentrate, much cheaper than the same thing in some name brand spray.   I spray it on our trails, which are in Pine woods, and always were terrible for ticks.  Were is the operative word.  Since spraying them with this, several times a year, no one gets ticks.  I mix it one once per gallon.

I spray it with the ATV boom that stays on my 7 foot rotary cutter.

Hope it's alright to post an Amazon link:   Amazon.com : HI Yield 31332 38 Plus Turf Termite and Ornamental Insect Control (32 oz) : Insect Repellents : Garden & Outdoor

The tank in the picture has since been changed to a Chapin external mix setup, so the tank, which only holds water, doesn't have to be cleaned, and drained when switching whatever needs to be sprayed. Just started using it, and it's great.

btulloh

Any type of permethrin spray or powder will do a good job.  Cheaper is always better.  No good reason to pay for the name.  Good link.
HM126

John Mc

I've taken to spraying my clothing with 1/2% permethrin spray rather than trying to control my trails, (Just make sure you us a water-based solution, since the oil based ones smell and discolor your clothes.) The treatment seems to last through about 4 or 5 washes. So I just plan on spraying my "work in the woods" clothing on the first of every month.

For me an even better solution is the factory treated clothing: the stuff lasts through something like 70 washes. (I figure by that time, the clothing is getting worn out anyway.) With this stuff, I don't have to worry about how long ago I sprayed it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

btulloh

I've been eyeballing those new Chapin sprayers.  Really like the concept. Glad to hear it's working well for you. I've been concerned about sticking a small boom it and haven't been able to get the info I need. What boom are you using and are you using the pump that came with the sprayer?  Are using a wireless or wired remote switch?
HM126

Tom King

On the external mix Chapin:  I'm not using the pump mounted on top of the tank.  I have those two pumps you see in the picture, and bypassed the one they sell with the tanks.  One pump is small volume, high pressure, for a wand I keep up by the tractor seat, for spot spraying, and the other is a larger volume one for the boom.  I control them with switches by the seat.

I guess since I'm not using the stock setup, the mixing ratio is not going exactly by the dial on the adjuster.  Set to 1 ounce per gallon, it wouldn't pick up anything.  I had to go up to 4, to get it to mix an ounce per gallon.

Other than that, it's Really nice to just swap out the concentrate tanks, and not have to do anything with the big tank but put water in it.

mike_belben

im with you john but its for my wife on a jogging trail.  Shes not gonna spray anything on and itll be a random assortment of clothing.  Thats just how it is. 

Someday ill make a few applicator buckets with the corn or kibble feed and spring loaded brush rollers for treating the deer and dogs directly. 
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: mike_belben on April 07, 2021, 09:37:30 AMim with you john but its for my wife on a jogging trail. Shes not gonna spray anything on and itll be a random assortment of clothing. Thats just how it is.

That's what I ended up going with the factory treated clothing. Nothing to thinkabout other than getting dressed. It works well for working in the woods. However, I can see that for a jogger, it would not be ideal: if wearing shorts, there is nothing protecting your legs.  She still might want to look at some factory treated socks. For cooler weather, if she is in to leggings, she might want to check out the Insect Shield Women's Protection Leggings. They are not terribly expensive, and if you keep an eye out, they have 20 or 30% off sales from time to time.

I just stocked up on some pants during a 30% off sale Insect Shield offered a while ago. I've also bought a pair of the Gamehide Elimitick Utralite Field Pant a few years ago and have been very happy with them: they are very lightweight, so good to wear in hot weather or under chaps.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

farmfromkansas

I got a small bottle of permethrin at the coop, directions said use 8oz per 5 gallons of water, loaded up 15 gallons of water to treat the grass along a few hundred yards of fence that I am repairing.  Has old rotten wire that needs cleaned up, some new posts and then some new wire.  I have rolled up most of the old wire,  another strip to go before actually doing the posts and wire.  Rotten old wire must be a hundred years old or more.  Bend it and it breaks. Found 2 rows down in the dirt, guess someone tried to plow the fence under.  At least I haven't got any ticks.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!