iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prince Philip passes at 99!

Started by doc henderson, April 09, 2021, 07:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Prince Philip passes at 99.  Kind of the English version of the greatest generation.  great military legacy.  great athlete.  Died at Windsor castle.  peacefully.  God speed!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Was reading about that, guess he had quite the personality and was not afraid to speak his mind in a funny way.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

I was in Berlin in May 1965 wandering around and a series of limos came down the street.  I popped my camera up and started taking pictures.  It was the Queen and Prince Phillipe, along with Willie Brandt and Conrad Adenauer.  First ever visit to German for British Royalty in centuries.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

yes just a smile and an understated poke at things.  near the end, he was quoted, "well, I guess I did my bit."
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

SwampDonkey

The Queen's mother and father visited Roosevelt just a month before Germany started bombing the L out of them.

Hmmm, not visited Germany in centuries until the 60's? Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany was Queen Victoria's (who was German) grandson. So I'm not sure of that fact. :D All the monarchs over there, over the centuries, were related to one another, even the Czar of Russia.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

sawguy21

They were all descendants of Queen Victoria, she insisted all her children marry into European royalty to keep the blood lines pure. Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, George V of England and Nicholas II of Russia, fighting each other during WWI, were first cousins. Phillip and Elizabeth are third cousins which might explain some of the problems in ther family.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

florida

He ended up being a great man who really did his part. I admire The Queen more than any other woman in the world. What a trooper she is! I can't imagine how either of them made it this far.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Raider Bill

I f you ever get a chance and have the interest watch "The Crown" on Netflix. 4 seasons following Queen Eliz from childhood through WW2, becoming Queen and up to Chucky marrying Dianna.
Season 5 is in the works.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Runningalucas

On death
"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation (1988" -Prince Philip
Did I say that? | Celebrity | The Guardian

Very loving, and honorable.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

florida

Raider Bill,
It's a good show but it's fiction. Some of it may be true, or not. The Queen has too much class to write a biography.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

SwampDonkey

I remember old footage of the bombing of London, the palace got some damage to and they come out the next day to say they were just as vulnerable as anyone else. It was Elizabeth in the video as a teen.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HemlockKing

Quote from: Runningalucas on April 09, 2021, 02:26:45 PM
On death
"In the event that I am reincarnated, I would like to return as a deadly virus, to contribute something to solving overpopulation (1988" -Prince Philip
Did I say that? | Celebrity | The Guardian

Very loving, and honorable.
All these problems from us humans and it could be all solved if we weren't so plentiful, if the world still only had 3b people pollution would hardly be a problem. He wasn't wrong, and we're projected to hit 10b in the coming decades since Africa is exploding in growth.
A1

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to hear that. I always thought he was a very respectable man doing an excellent job in his support role to the queen and his grandkids and such. I like the Queen and thought the Queen mum was super cool when I heard she dismissed her bodyguards to go fight the war and carried a .38 in her purse instead.

We lost an old neighbor yesterday who had been in a nursing home the last couple of years. He would have been 102 in one more month to the day. He was probably the last surviving WWII veteran from our county and said he took a truckload of medical supplies across the Burma Road when it first opened in WWII.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 09, 2021, 01:09:16 PM
I f you ever get a chance and have the interest watch "The Crown" on Netflix. 4 seasons following Queen Eliz from childhood through WW2, becoming Queen and up to Chucky marrying Dianna.
Season 5 is in the works.
We just finished season 3 tonight, but apparently have skipped to "the end" in real life. 
Mostly watching this has been a history lesson but it sure makes me glad not to be in their shoes.

Tom King

Charlemagne was good at uniting Europe, and close countries, around 800, by selectively marrying off his Granddaughters to royalty in different countries.  You might as well say that all leaders of every European country have been related since then.

If you have a Gateway Ancestor, you're related to all of them.  I discovered that I did, and finally got tired of spending time on Ancestry.com when my number of ancestors grew to over 6,000.  You can trace them all the way back through the Romans.  The Romans kept really good records.

Charlemagne was also a descendent of Mark Anthony, and Julius Caesar's Daughter.  Royalty has always come from royalty.

sawguy21

Look at some of his descendants and yeah, there were problems. ;D Off topic but geneology can be quite fascinating. I am on Ancestry.com in hopes of finding my father's family, I know almost nothing about him. I have traced my mother's ancestors to northern Germany and central Norway, they were all farmers so nothing earth shattering there. A large group of eastern Europeans had their DNA tested and a common thread started showing. Intrigued, researchers started following it back to Tikrit in Mongolia, the theory is they are all descendants of Genghis Khan! He must have been one busy boy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

You too eh? :D, My uncle did some testing and proudly said we're related to king Tut too... well when you have a girl or twelve in every town and then add a few millenia  ::). My uncle was interested in the royalty part, when my aunt would turn up a murder or thief in the family tree he didn't want to hear about that  :D.

As Ben Franklin said, "All blood is ancient".

Tom King

Some lines will probably never be found, because of lost records.  My 6th Great Grandfather had 5 boys.  The records of 4 of them were lost from being burned during the Revolution.  I was lucky because my 5th GGF was the only one that went South, a little ways, into what is now North Carolina, and the records were all intact.

doc henderson

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on April 17, 2021, 09:21:32 AM
He designed his own land rover to move his casket.  EV I guess.

Prince Philip's Land Rover hearse revealed ahead of funeral | Fox News

Hey, you watching over my shoulder..... :o :o I read that earlier this morning......

I have very few kind thoughts anything royalty, but he seemed to be a likable chap
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

steering wheel on the wrong side.

Sedgehammer

Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!