iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Math Question

Started by sawwood, August 02, 2016, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawwood

Hope this is in the right place.  I have a job coming up that a customer wants some Walnut
made into T&G for flooring. I charge by the liner foot and he said it about 4.500 square foot.
How do you convert that into liner foot ? I will need to joint and plane be for cutting it to 5"
wide pieces. Then make the T&G in the woodmaster as i have set up for that. I said to make
the T&G i quote How much  do you guys charge for that ?

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Bandmill Bandit

I Estimate total hours it will take for the entire job and then estimate costs PLUS a reasonable over run of 15% to 20%. Divide that but the square feet of finished product and you have a pretty fair price.

Another way is to go to a local hard floor supplier and get the square foot price from them and then adjust as per above.

I will check for sure but that type of flooring in this neck o the woods is running around $8 Canadian a Sqft. I will get an accurate price.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Hilltop366

This is how I figure it.

If the flooring was 12" wide it would be 4500 divided by 1 because there would be 1 square foot in every linear foot which means it would be 4500 linear feet as well.

So in order to find out how many linear feet you need to cover 4500 soft if the board is not 12" wide you take the desired board width (5 in this case) and divide by 12 to create a decimal equivalent of the fraction 5/12.

5 ➗12=.41666667 square foot per linear foot  (5 representing the width of your board)

Then divide the amount of square feet by your answer (.41666667)

4500 ➗.41666667 =10799.99 linear feet.

Someone is welcome to check for errors.

acewoodturner

You will also lose some width on the timber due to it being tongue and groove and this needs to be taken into account when calculating the timber quantity.

longtime lurker

I go to the website for one of my larger competitors and use their online calculator - plug in the area, coverage width, wasteage factor and it spits a number at me for linear length. Nice of them to help me like that I reckon :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Bandmill Bandit

There is an app in the Apple app store that I use pretty regular.

Its called Bear Creek lumber calculator.

I punched in the numbers and at 3/4" thick X 5" wide for 4500 sqft of floor and it came back with 5400 BF total required with 10800 LF for the job.
At $6 Bucks a sqft of floor your lumber is $2.50 per LF and $5.00 per board foot acording to that calculator tool/app. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

sawwood

Thanks guys for the help. The customer is bringing the lumber and I quoted $1.00 liner foot so I will have to think
  about what to charge him. At the 10800 that would be a lot for him to pay. I know its a lot of work but I want to
be fair as I am retired and don't need a lot of money. I think I will just have him bring some of the lumber and see
what will be needed to run the T&G. Then I can tell him what needs to done to get it ready and then let him know
the cost.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Sawwood I know what you mean and I wasn't saying to use that price. That is the bottom $ of what that kind of flooring sells for here and most of that would likely get shipped here from your neck-O-the woods.

I expect you could about chop that in half for the freight it would cost to get it here. Maybe not quite half but probably close.

Thats why I would check with a local retail supplier.   

Carson-saws

Is their a converter in the FF tool box? 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

rjwoelk

Divide the 12 by the width of board flooring in this case 5 inch then times 4500 for linel ft.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!