iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CTL Advice

Started by stavebuyer, July 18, 2022, 02:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 20, 2022, 08:37:27 PM
@Firewoodjoe
I've 35 or so degrees without a line on the back, the tigercat 830's are what I've been around the most will do that depending on the ground conditions. I know they cut steeper without the yo yo line, but anymore you pretty much have to have the line to go any steeper because of the rules. Something else to think about is most of our stuff is setup with a road on the top of the unit on steep ground so there's good lift for the cable shows, so typically there's no escape out the bottom what goes down must come back up the same way. As far as steep ground equipment goes the best thing that was made for it was the Allied/Washington buncher a they'd go steeper then the new bunchers without having a line on them.
Ok. So prolly steeper than I need. But the problem I come into is the property line or the timber sale boundaries are at the top or bottom of the hill. So you have to cut up and come back down. Or just cutting a large hill in general. We don't use cable assistance of any kind and it's by no means that steep. Mostly it's kind of a pain with a non leveler and being we process on the side hill it gives different levels of pucker factor as you swing to work. It would be just nice to have a machine (my next one) that will just walk it and cut it and not spill my coffee lol  I've had only one spot this valmet wouldn't climb. And the line was right at the ridge. But the hole time the hydraulics are beeping or it won't swing back up the hill to process. If it was leveled I would think it would be much nicer. 

Firewoodjoe

That allied machine is built kind of like a leveling rubber machine. Like a komatsu today. I really like the looks of the komatsu 951 for my dream machine but no dealer around here. But a dangle head.

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 20, 2022, 09:12:31 PM
That allied machine is built kind of like a leveling rubber machine. Like a komatsu today. I really like the looks of the komatsu 951 for my dream machine but no dealer around here. But a dangle head.
Remember it was designed in the 70's about the same time as the osa machines were.
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on July 20, 2022, 08:53:16 PM
Quote from: Skeans1 on July 20, 2022, 08:37:27 PM
@Firewoodjoe
I've 35 or so degrees without a line on the back, the tigercat 830's are what I've been around the most will do that depending on the ground conditions. I know they cut steeper without the yo yo line, but anymore you pretty much have to have the line to go any steeper because of the rules. Something else to think about is most of our stuff is setup with a road on the top of the unit on steep ground so there's good lift for the cable shows, so typically there's no escape out the bottom what goes down must come back up the same way. As far as steep ground equipment goes the best thing that was made for it was the Allied/Washington buncher a they'd go steeper then the new bunchers without having a line on them.
Ok. So prolly steeper than I need. But the problem I come into is the property line or the timber sale boundaries are at the top or bottom of the hill. So you have to cut up and come back down. Or just cutting a large hill in general. We don't use cable assistance of any kind and it's by no means that steep. Mostly it's kind of a pain with a non leveler and being we process on the side hill it gives different levels of pucker factor as you swing to work. It would be just nice to have a machine (my next one) that will just walk it and cut it and not spill my coffee lol  I've had only one spot this valmet wouldn't climb. And the line was right at the ridge. But the hole time the hydraulics are beeping or it won't swing back up the hill to process. If it was leveled I would think it would be much nicer.
We do that all the time, but what the big difference is the pitch 35 degrees is puckering depending on how far you reach out with anything. I remember what it's like cutting in a non leveling machine processing short wood 90 degrees. Even I do long wood it's 90 degrees to the trails on that type of ground for a forwarder for a grapple cat the only difference is how the turn is setup in or out of the trail. Levelers are great but they do give you a false sense of security that the slope isn't as steep as it actually is.

Riwaka

Tigercats in the snow.

Tigercat 1185 tire harvester with tc 570 dangle processor in Adirondacks  (570 -28 inch max opening) Logmax 7000XT dangle -31 inch max cut also on 1185 in other vids
Tigercat 1185 Harvester in the Adirondacks - YouTube

Tigercat 1085C forwarder with shortwood Hard/ Soft maple
Tigercat 1085C Forwarder Loading - YouTube

-------------------------------

Still having a think about the SE Kentucky/ NW TN situation. How many days over 95-100F per year?

Tigercat LX830D with 5185
Tigercat LX830D with 5195 felling head - Trevor Haywood Timer Co. - Tennessee - YouTube

Tigercat LH855D with south star qs600 - bit bigger than popsicle sticks, could spend more now buying and LSX 870.

A Tigercat LH855D -QS600 falling and processing in Northern, BC - YouTube

stavebuyer

North end of the Cumberland Plateau so there is a little elevation. Days actually hitting 90 are few and far apart.

Thank You Sponsors!