iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Terrapin Turtles PICTURE UPDATE

Started by Magicman, July 01, 2012, 10:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Or Box Turtles just lumber along seemingly doing their own thing.  They will eat your cucumbers, squash, and the bottoms from any tomatoes that they can reach.  I guess that they eat other vegetation and probably any insects, etc. that they happen upon.

We have several that occasionally cross the yard.  I have found empty shells in the woods, but today I found this one that had died next to the drive that was not there yesterday.  It's shell was worn slick and it had lost the normal markings. 

I guess that indicates that this guy was quite old.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Never thought about a turtle in the woods. I have never seen one in the woods on my land. I live above a brook and see them there quite often. I think I see more snappers though. They was laying eggs a few weeks ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riggs

I have a soft spot for them, one of my dogs seems to hunt them in the woods. She can't hurt them, and wouldn't if she could, but she will bark and dig at them till I come and investigate.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

I see this one quite often.

Just poking along and doing what turtles do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

Wow!  Look at that red head. :)

Too bad about that old guy. Is there a way to determine their age? My oldest son would place the dead carcass on an ant mound for them to pick him clean. My youngest son would cry that his brother put him on an ant mound. He would want a full funeral. :)

We don't see them here at the house or in the neighborhood.  But on outings, we might come across one or signs of one.  While on our trip to KY, OH, and IN we saw them everywhere.

Here is one of pigman's that got loose...

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

The ants have covered my old guy, so we shall see.

Bill Gaiche

They are a neat little critter. We ave one or two come stomping trough the yard often. I noticed yesterday that one had taken a bite out of one of my mators.bg

Magicman

Turtles gotta eat too.   :)

pigman

Quote from: metalspinner on July 02, 2012, 09:20:27 AM

Here is one of pigman's that got loose...

He is still hanging around the house. Last week I saw him next to the woods on the west side of the house. Well, I am not sure it is a he, it might be a her. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Autocar

We use to have them here in west central Ohio but all the travel routes are gone and most of the wood lots also. Its probably been 32 years sence Ive seen one around here  ::).
Bill

metalspinner

Autocar,
My son and I were camping at Caesar Creek State Park near Waynesville in May and we saved one crossing the road.  :)

I hope that wasn't the last one.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Magicman

Quote from: pigman on July 03, 2012, 08:03:23 PM
Well, I am not sure it is a he, it might be a her. :-\ 

According to what I read the females are larger.  The males have the longest tails.  If you have ever seen them mate, you know why the males have a longer tail.  If you have not, I will tell you that it's for support and balance.   smiley_love

sandhills

We have a lot of what I've always called painted turtles around here (I have no idea if that's actually what they are), and it always amazes me how far from water you will see them.  I'll often see them a mile or more away from any water, at a turtles pace that's a long time between drinks  pepsi_smiley.

Autocar

Metalspinner nop its not the last one  ;D if you get wheres theres more timber there still plenty of them. Ive stopped many of times to save one from traffic also.
Bill

Riggs

Not always a good idea to try to help them. I've done it too. This was in NC just a few weeks ago....sad

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2012/jun/25/7/woman-killed-while-trying-save-turtle-ar-2383012/
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

davch00

I was out the other day getting a cypress log that the county cut off of a large drainage ditch and just about stepped on an alligator snapping turtle. It was sitting on a snag in about 6" of water that was a perfect to stand on and put a chain around a log. I forgot how big and ugly those things are. 

Woodchuck53

Last week when the cool spell here at home I started splitting fire wood. Went to pick up a block for the splitter and found one the size of a half dollar. Never found one that small and of course the grandsons wanted to raise it. Well some how it got out of the box. This one will be able to balance some day.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

clww

Quote from: davch00 on July 17, 2012, 12:51:48 AM
I was out the other day getting a cypress log that the county cut off of a large drainage ditch and just about stepped on an alligator snapping turtle. It was sitting on a snag in about 6" of water that was a perfect to stand on and put a chain around a log. I forgot how big and ugly those things are.
We've got one that lives in a small "bog" just down the road from our property, in a farmers field. He crawls out during the morning to sun himself beside the dirt road. He's not a giant one, probably about 16" long top shell.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

OK folks I am posting this, but I am also reminding you to be respectful with your comments and to resist the urge to make any inappropriate remarks.  I just do not want this thread to take a wrong turn which would result in the topic being pulled.

With that being said, yesterday I happened upon an event that I have only seen two other times and never when I had a camera.  I see this guy occasionally in the yard, and his picture appears in a previous post.

Surely this takes a great amount of coordination as well as determination.

It also lasted well over 3 hours. 

thecfarm

I took the grandson down to do some fishing,he found 2 snappers that was just hatched. One still had the cord from the egg on it. A little bigger than a quarter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

MM, well now that's not something you see everyday is it?  ;)  My wife and I took my 11 year old and her cousin fishing at a small lake last weekend for her birthday and getting there we found a snapping turtle crossing the blacktop road along the lake at the usual turtles pace.  The kids wanted to see it so we stopped and I could here someone coming so went to move it off the road, turns out it was my aunt and uncle coming from the other direction so they stopped also, I didn't look at their expressions when I grabbed his tail and carried him to the ditch he was headed for.  It wasn't real big, probably 14" across, but coming from the big city I'm sure they thought I was nuts.  ;D

Magicman

A few years ago I found a tiny terrapin in our yard, so now I know why.  I'm operating a turtle nursery.   ;D

Bibbyman

We've had a box turtle come on our front porch and share dowg food for a couple of years.  It'll be around almost every day for a month or so and then be gone.  This summer the turtle was quite insistent.  If there was not food there in the morning,  it would come and stretch it's neck out and raise itself up as high as it could to look into our French doors. We'd come with a heel of bread or something.  It'd drink out of the bowl of water that we set out for the dowg.  The bowl is just an old plastic mixing bowl and it'd end up being tipped over.

We now have an old skillet we feed the dowg in.  The turtle will climb in and eat the dowg food.  The dowg gets there and growls at the turtle and the turtle hisses back but won't be driven off.

My folks have needed a lot of checking this summer.  One time up there I noted a box turtle came to beg.  I found it a slice of bread and put out a pie tin of water.  It munched and drank it's fill.  The next afternoon it was back.  I told my sister about it and suggested they feed it something if it showed up.  She texted me that they pulled up to find three turtles there wanting food!  She got some bread and put a slice down in front of each.  Two started eating and the third grabbed it's slice and took off running.  She was so tickled she took a video of it with her i-phone.

The drought this year has been hard on the turtles for lack of insects and worms.  We see box turtles around the sawshed quite often as there are large night crawlers around in the wet spots.  I guess the vibration of the mill brings them up.  But the drought has driven them deep,  I guess and we've not seen any worms for many months.

I've came across box turtles mating a number of times.  I'm told that a mail box turtle has a concave bottom shell. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Riggs

I found this one in the yard a few weeks ago, brought it up for the kids to see. I'm amazed at the color differences just in these posts.

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

I always smile when I see them because they just seem to mosey along minding their own business.   :)

It is interesting about the colors, because yours was yellow like metalspinner's.  Maybe ours are Wood-Mizers because they are usually orange.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!