iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WIld Fire

Started by Bosco, September 09, 2020, 08:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

We just had a bad forest fire here in Central Montana, It got my mill,a Lt 15, I hope insurance covers it, Had several cants, a few logs and a stack of lumber there too so it got hot! slab wood ,saw dust all gone.I been told it cant be rebuilt, SO looking at the new LX55? Any one have one or stick with LT15 It did bout everything I needed or wanted.

doc henderson

WOW.  so sorry to hear that.  let us know if we can help.  I have no info on the mill that you are asking about.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Sorry for your loss. Glad you are okay. I don't know anything about the new mill you mention. If the mill was for personal use I'd think homeowner's insurance would cover it. Mine covers the outbuildings and equipment up to 10% of the value of the home. If used for business you will have to have had an inland Marine policy to cover it I suspect. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Shoot that sucks sorry you lost the mill. Did everything else turn out ok?

samandothers

Sorry to hear of your loss!  I hope you are covered and get to shop for a new mill soon.

charles mann

Im in north cali, trying to get off of 1 fire west of red bluff, and head east to chico for the creek fire. It ate 20,000 ac over night and the town we were suppose to go to today, is being evac'ed as of early this morning. 
Caught between 2 fires, dumping ash everywhere, and if we crank, lbs upon lbs will get ingested into our engines, something kind of important to keep us in the air. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

sawguy21

That is one of the scariest jobs going, you boys are GOOD! Stay safe
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

slider

Sorry for your loss but glad you are ok . a frind of mine just  had his skid steer burn up on a job because it was not covered commercial they did not pay.
al glenn

nativewolf

Quote from: charles mann on September 09, 2020, 02:14:14 PM
Im in north cali, trying to get off of 1 fire west of red bluff, and head east to chico for the creek fire. It ate 20,000 ac over night and the town we were suppose to go to today, is being evac'ed as of early this morning.
Caught between 2 fires, dumping ash everywhere, and if we crank, lbs upon lbs will get ingested into our engines, something kind of important to keep us in the air.
Stay safe!  Thanks for staying on it!
Liking Walnut

Crossroads

Sorry to hear about your mill, I hope your house was safe and you're safe. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bosco

We faired better than some, Lost 100 quail, snowplow, Hay roundbales, 100 acres of woods, some will come back, perimeter fence and some cross fence, I have agribuisness insurance, I'm gonna/have to, get a new mill, I was VERY happy with my lt15, did all I asked of it, But now I'm looking at the Lx modles, Also think I need one with wheels

Nebraska

Well sorry about your woods glad you didn't loose everything. Good luck with the new mill. The insurance check from the lt15 ought to make a pretty good down payment on a timberking 1620  or WM LT35.

Bosco

I been told you cant rebuild these burnt mills due to warping? Say "wont never cut strait again"?

doc henderson

I am sure it has to do with the temp. it got to.  if it was on fire, all the plastic and rubber engine components are gone.  the metal will warp.  you can rebuild anything, but you have to look at the time and material cost, and will it be like new, or compromised.  if it just bubbled paint, it might be worth it.  loading arms and big clunky non critical stuff may be ok.  I would try to get a new to you mill, and maybe save some parts to sell or as back up for the next one if the same brand.  best of luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Excess heat from welding on them can warp a frame to that point, so yes I would say in the situation you described it's likely not repairable. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dana Stanley

God bless you for the work you do. What would we do without men like you who are willing to take that risk to protect us!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

charles mann

Quote from: Dana Stanley on September 10, 2020, 05:27:37 PM
God bless you for the work you do. What would we do without men like you who are willing to take that risk to protect us!
I served this country 13 yrs, in the army, couldnt continue that, so the next best thing is to continue serving the states and their citizens by doing what i do. I look at it as being an amercian and doing what i can for the greater good. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

dgdrls

Quote from: Bosco on September 09, 2020, 08:33:51 AM
We just had a bad forest fire here in Central Montana, It got my mill,a Lt 15, I hope insurance covers it, Had several cants, a few logs and a stack of lumber there too so it got hot! slab wood ,saw dust all gone.I been told it cant be rebuilt, SO looking at the new LX55? Any one have one or stick with LT15 It did bout everything I needed or wanted.
Good news you are safe,   Go up to an LT28 with the log handling package 
@charles mann  you be careful out there.
D

Wintergreen Mountain

Sorry to hear about your mill and property damage. 
    My  mill engine failed this week and I was feeling poorly. My loss does not even exist compared to the catastrophe you have endured!
    I wish you the best in your recovery.
   Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Bosco

SOOOO how many have milled black timber? Theres a bunch around here. I gotta get a mill! The only Woodmizer dealer in Montana says at least a 12 week backlog!

doc henderson

I have milled ERC that was cleared off land, and burned in a pile.  the black only went about an eighth inch.  burned off all the little branches.

Durf700

sorry to hear that you were affected by the fires.  at least your safe.  material things can be replaced.  that sucks that you lost your woods..

Bosco

So my mill a"LT15 start", got covered by insurance, it looks like maybe I could rebuild? I'm told there is a long wait on a new one, My neighbor is happy with Woodland  Mills HM126, and I see they have a new HM130?,  my Woodmizer dealerdealer reccomended going up to LT28. The LT15 did all I ever needed it to.Was looking at the LX55 also,. Too many decisions!

Durf700

if your happy with the LT 15 I would jump up to an LT 28 with log deck option. alot easier on you with log turner and stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!