iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraska

I made a nice 9ft 7inch x 5 inch x 12 ish inch can't that was supposed to be 5 5/8 thick to set aside to dry for a couple years to be part of a log wall on the front of a little she shed cabin by the pond. I finished the cut shut off the blade, idled it down, set off the flitch looked down looked at the correct dimensioned logs on the pile, shook my headrealizing what I had done....got the tractor moved out of the wondering now what are you going to do with THAT now...Then realized my lube was still  on....

Mike W

cut em all down to 5" and state that was the plan all along ;D

Crusarius

I know. I just wanted different scenery. hey guess what. That section of canada is ugly anyhow :) Would have been nicer staying in the US. That is what I will do on the way home tomorrow.

hacknchop

Beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder. 
Often wrong never indoubt

Chuck White

I have traveled across the border and took the 401W, then crossed over at Sault St Marie, MI just to avoid getting near Chicago!

To me, it was well worth the trip!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

I guess I shouldn't have posted that late lastnight. it wasn't ugly per se but it wasn't any different than staying in the US. I do really think the NY plates on the truck bring out the worst drivers around me. When I ran AZ plates I never had the issues I have with NY plates.

Old Greenhorn

Well, I guess it's to me this time. I worked a 3 day music fest setting up then running the first aid group for the event, then breaking down late Sunday afterwards. I got home in the driveway about 2am Monday morning, no moon. I had the trailer and Mule on the truck so I just pulled it in and parked it in a handy place where I usually don't park. There was no moonlight, but as it is my own place I didn't bother to pull my flashlight out of my pocket, so as I turned the corner too go up the front walk my right foot caught one of those "pretty" rocks my wife had laid along the path. I went down hard and whacked pretty good on the blue-stone walk. Cut and bled pretty good,my shirt was covered. No big deal, but it really rang my bell. I washed and cleaned it up best I could and went to bed. Now almost 3 days out my working diagnosis is that I have a mild concussion. The headache is constant and annoying, stomach never feels 'right', and I am a bit irritable. I sleep well, but get tired easy in the afternoon, pretty tired. i'll be slowing down for a while here. But at least the cut is closing up well.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OG,

Ouch! Looks like you could use a few stitches if not too late to get them. At minimum a few steri-strips to close that gap. Probably going to have a big old keloid scar. Sounds like you need to bite the bullet and go to the horsepistol (Or as you old Noggies call it  - the Sykhus) and maybe get an X-Ray or such and a second opinion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

I agree with an x-ray.  when hit with something hard enough, those blue stones are prone to fracture.  the hard part is finding someone who will x-ray a rock.  :D :D :D.  just like the crappy-est logs, we talk about the character. looks like it may be adding some.  hope you recover soon.  a ct will show fracture or bleeding inside the skull, and worrisome if on a blood thinner.  concussion is based on symptoms and you do prob. have that.  the redness around the wound is called granulation and part of the healing, not infection.  god bless.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moosehunter

I had a locust job Saturday. Before I started I did my mandatory safety talk, including " always be careful of your fingers, the wood and the steel deck". You guessed it, second log, go to help the client remove a 4x8x10' beam and pinch my right hand middle finger between the beam and the top of the outrigger. Actually "slammed" might better describe what I did!
 It looked right at the client and said remember not to do that.
 He said he was sure I had broke it because of the sound it made. It still hurts today but I didn't break it.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Old Greenhorn

Yeah Doc, that stone don't look too good, but I have already replaced it with another, softer, one. I don't have any of the other fracture symptoms, no point pressure or discoloration, was more concerned about intracranial hemorrhage, which I have no indicators for. Also, no meds to mess things up, I am drug free. If I was on thinners, I would have been in the E/D that night because you don't get a lot of second chances with that. (Beer however, is a different story, but I am staying away from that until things are back to what represents normal for me.)
 @moosehunter : Ice may help that but just because it ain't broke doesn't mean you may not have a problem. Digits are pesky little things, you may have cut the muscle or done some good nerve damage. Keep a close eye on that, by now the pain should be pretty much gone except when you bend or use it. If that is not the case, or bending it makes you feel like heaving, you'd better get it checked out. (And Yes, this is the pot calling the kettle black, I am aware.) Good luck with it.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

moosehunter

It only hurts enough to remind me what I did! Now last night when I knocked on the neighbors door with that hand,... Does that count as a continuation of the same dumb thing or is that a separate dumb thing?

mh

Old Greenhorn

I think it's not a new one, I believe it is more like 'multiplier points' or something like that. ;D :D

doc henderson

@moosehunter   i would ask you to post a pic, but the admin guys would prob. take it off and such, being the middle finger and all.  sorry you got pinched.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moosehunter

Not nearly as ugly as some of the pictures on this thread

sawguy21

Quote from: moosehunter on August 28, 2019, 01:45:05 PM
It only hurts enough to remind me what I did! Now last night when I knocked on the neighbors door with that hand,... Does that count as a continuation of the same dumb thing or is that a separate dumb thing?

mh
It never fails. If I injure a finger that is the one that takes the hit every time I walk by a sharp corner or need something. Years ago I took the tip off the second finnger of my left hand in a table saw, had a splint. Every so often I would hit the underside of the dash of my pick up while rolling the window up, I would roll to the side of the road, throw it out of gear, suck wind and wipe the tears. Man, that hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: moosehunter on August 28, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
Not nearly as ugly as some of the pictures on this thread
<
I dunno, looks like you got a pretty good run toward the bone before it stopped, but There doesn't seem to be a lot of bruising, so it should heal up ok. The photos aren't the game here, or I hope not. I waited over two days to take mine, mostly because it was the only way I could see it (I am not discussing this with my wife). I should have gotten one before I cleaned myself up. I do have one of the shirt because I am going to have to get a replacement next year and I might need proof. It doesn't look as bad as it could have.  ;D

firefighter ontheside

That looks like it hurt Old Greenhorn.  Get some rest.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 28, 2019, 07:36:37 PM
That looks like it hurt Old Greenhorn.  Get some rest.
Yeah, it kinda did, well it still does. I have a full blown schedule overloaded at work and it's nuts, so I can't take any time off. But I am taking it easy at home, just doing a few things and getting to bed early. I just wish this persistent headache would go away. The cut is pretty much dried up now, no seeping at all today and it survived the shower tonight. I'll live, always have so far. ;D

rjwoelk

Quote from: Chuck White on August 04, 2019, 07:41:32 AM
I have traveled across the border and took the 401W, then crossed over at Sault St Marie, MI just to avoid getting near Chicago!

To me, it was well worth the trip!
You really took the long way around, I dont find traveling through Detroit to the border Windsor or vis versa a problem very straight forward. Chicago is busy in rush hr. but I try to plan it out to avoid it if possible.If you take Sarnia it would be better and still avoid Detroit.  
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Chuck White

Well, My home is here in NY and I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB, SD!  I spent 8 years there and travelled home every other year for leave and always looked for something different!  My normal route from home was to go South on I-81 until I got to I-80, the take I-80 all the way to Sioux City, IA (to avoid the cities and the toll roads), then I-29N to Sioux Falls, SD, then I-90 to Ellsworth AFB!
So, going through Canada to Sault St Marie was a welcome change!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rjwoelk

Yup that makes sense.  We have the pass for tolls and if the traffic is light can make it through Chicago with out slowing up, that would be around 8,9 PM. 

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Tam Barron

Hi...
I dont know if this will work.

I fell up my unfinished concrete stairs. Now have 6 inch scar on forearm. Treated with swearing, cold water and honey!

Good luck.

T

doc henderson

welcome Tam, that will work... and does your honey have a name?   :D.  some folks tend to post on this thread more than others!

SawyerTed

Falling up stairs counts!  Heck falling counts!

Dropped a coiled saw blade and could not get away fast enough!  It was

like 158" of cat claws coming after me!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!