iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I traveled to California with a fuel truck to chase a helicopter fighting fires. I sent three rolls of film to get processed, not one picture turned out >:( The shutter was pooched. I was really upset, it was a fairly pricey slr.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Walnut Beast

Hilltop366

My dad's aunt and uncle visited from Mass years ago. He was blind but insisted they get a camera for the trip and she took pictures of all the places and relatives the visited, when she got the pictures back they were all out of focus pictures of her eye.

Rhodemont

The top of the leveling legs are flush with the bunks right now.  I lost one of the plastic covers so the leg next to the lift arms is just the rim end of the steel tube. Yesterday I was milling 4 inch slabs from a big white oak and sliding them onto he lift arms to bring back up and stand on side to mill 4 x  4 fence posts.  I was sliding the widest, heaviest slab off the pile onto the bunks and dropped it right on my fingers on the top end of the leveling leg.  It really hurt and I was afraid to take off my glove and see how bad the damage was.  Walked up to the house and got that look from Mariann...what did you do now?  Took the glove off and was relieved it to be just a smash/cut across three fingers.  Lucky I had a heavy pair of leather gloves on rathe than the lighter deer skin gloves I like to run the mill with.  It has been a long time since Mariann went and got me a real cold beer to wrap my hand around.  Oh yeah, I took the cover off the very back leg and put it on the one by the lift.  Before running again I am going to put thinner blocks under the legs so they go down another hole.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

SawyerTed

Ouch!  On my LT 35 I lost a couple of those plastic caps.  It never occurred to me they were there for anything other than keeping sawdust and water out.  

Hope the healing is quick and complete! 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

I'm glad the damage was not worse.  I've done that more than one time with my toes.  Take the shoe and sock off to see how bad the damage was.  Luckily it is usually not as bad as imagined.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

I went up late afternoon to fell a poplar tree to fill an order for a few 8' 2X4's and I need some for stock. I found one I liked with my fence nailed to it so I decided to cut it off about 4' high. I cut my wedge and plunge cut most of the way through but the tree was leaning different than I read it so it sat down on my saw. I went back and got the tractor, 200' cable, chain and a snatch block. I hooked the cable as high as I could reach then pulled it tight with the tractor but it did not free my saw so I used my wife's little 14" EZ start Sthil 180 and started cutting the holding wood and it finally fell. It still landed about 20-30 degrees right of where I had notched it but no real damage to any trees or equipment. I cut off one one fork and the top then a 17' upper log and went back and got my old ATV and pulled that down and brought my saws and such back. No real damage just a little wasted energy and time. I still have probably 50' of a pretty log up there I will buck and retrieve as needed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

I despise going to get a tractor implement only to find it in the same shape I parked it.  The 3 pt rotary tiller didn't get any better after I parked it last year.  The roll pin holding the pto yoke on the pto shaft is still missing.  @$&/("$&%#!  :o :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crusarius

I hate when I remember I needed to fix something when I go to use it :)

WV Sawmiller

Are you guys referring to my back up Sthil 440 with the muffler off and all the replacement parts sitting on top of it which forced me to use the wife's little saw today to free mine? ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

We would never suggest such a thing. :)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawyerTed

I'm thinking I should have elves that fix things when I'm sleeping but all I ever get is gremlins!

Crossroads

Quote from: Rhodemont on April 11, 2022, 12:41:07 PM
The top of the leveling legs are flush with the bunks right now.  I lost one of the plastic covers so the leg next to the lift arms is just the rim end of the steel tube. Yesterday I was milling 4 inch slabs from a big white oak and sliding them onto he lift arms to bring back up and stand on side to mill 4 x  4 fence posts.  I was sliding the widest, heaviest slab off the pile onto the bunks and dropped it right on my fingers on the top end of the leveling leg.  It really hurt and I was afraid to take off my glove and see how bad the damage was.  Walked up to the house and got that look from Mariann...what did you do now?  Took the glove off and was relieved it to be just a smash/cut across three fingers.  Lucky I had a heavy pair of leather gloves on rathe than the lighter deer skin gloves I like to run the mill with.  It has been a long time since Mariann went and got me a real cold beer to wrap my hand around.  Oh yeah, I took the cover off the very back leg and put it on the one by the lift.  Before running again I am going to put thinner blocks under the legs so they go down another hole.
That's hurts, ask me how I know! 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Old Greenhorn

Well that photo tightened my gut right up. You and Lynn should compare scars.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crossroads

Lol, I think we did, back in 2017 when this happened. On the bright side, that incident led to me upgrading to the new lt40 🤓. Glad I didn't have to break any bones to get the wife to buy in on the lt70 getting ordered.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Nebraska

I've resembled those fingers  lately...  ::)

pretty much healed up.

Crossroads

Gotta have a black fingernail every now and then, so people know ya work for a living 🤓

aigheadish

I don't know how many times I've told my kid to keep his fingers out from near a screw as he uses the small impact driver but it wasn't enough for me to not learn that lesson again myself. I also now have one of those black fingernails.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Don P

NE Woodburner

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 11, 2022, 08:21:01 PMit did not free my saw so I used my wife's little 14" EZ start Sthil 180 and started cutting the holding wood and it finally fell

Just a suggestion you may have already considered - I carry a box with my gas and bar oil, wedges, files, squench, etc. In that box I also carry a well used, but serviceable spare bar and chain. If I pinch my saw as you described, I remove the saw head leaving the stuck bar and chain in the cut and put the spare bar and chain on my saw head to finish the cut. This way the saw is not at risk and I don't need to get my spare saw. Worst case I damage the bar and chain that is stuck in the cut when the tree comes down.

WV Sawmiller

I had the tool box but not the spare bar although I thought about doing that and just grabbing the bar and chain off my mufflerless saw back in the barn parked next to my wife's. There were only a few inches of holding wood left and her baby saw worked fine for that case. 

It was not the first bar I've pinched and probably won't be the last if the truth be told. ::)
Howard Green

Rhodemont

Well, guess I am in the finger club!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

WV Sawmiller

Been there - done that. Did you know that a porcupine puffer fish in the Red Sea eats coral and when you try to lip lock him like a bass you can lose a thumbnail to him too. Don't ask how I know. ::)

A red hot pin will melt through the nail and drain the blood under there and release the pressure and help stop the pain but you're still gonna lose the nail.
Howard Green

Resonator

Had a situation a couple weeks ago that was wake up call. Needed one more tree for a lumber order, found a 20' tall "totem pole" (top broken clean off laying on the ground) white pine about 14" across in my woods. Easy right? Cut my notch low, was cutting the back cut, and got ambitious with a thin hinge to leave a cleaner butt log. Well, instead of going west, the hinge snapped, (brittle pine) it went north, right where I was holding the saw cutting. I dived out off the way and it missed me barely, but here's the dumb part. I hesitated by pulling the saw back trying to get it out and not get smashed, when I should have been making sure I got out and didn't get smashed. Safety pep talk, saws are easier to replace than sawyers, be safe.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SawyerTed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 12, 2022, 10:23:08 AM
  A red hot pin will melt through the nail and drain the blood under there and release the pressure and help stop the pain but you're still gonna lose the nail.
A red hot paperclip works better for me, a larger hole and doesn't penetrate as far when pushed through the nail.  Don't ask me how I know.

Thank You Sponsors!