iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are plates required in California for a mill?

Started by Ljohnsaw, December 20, 2014, 02:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

I could search through the regs, but would probably find the wrong answer. ::)  Does anyone in California have a portable mill, and if so, do you have a license plate for it?

Rather than try and lift my mill onto my flat bed, I figure I'll just make a set of wheels to attach under it to move each section around (and up to my property) when I need to.  I have two utility trailers and spent $16.00 getting them plated so it not a cost issue, just the waste of a day trying to get 'r dun!

Thanks in advance!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

4x4American

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 20, 2014, 02:48:01 AM
I could search through the regs, but would probably find the wrong answer. ::)  Does anyone in California have a portable mill, and if so, do you have a license plate for it?

Rather than try and lift my mill onto my flat bed, I figure I'll just make a set of wheels to attach under it to move each section around (and up to my property) when I need to.  I have two utility trailers and spent $16.00 getting them plated so it not a cost issue, just the waste of a day trying to get 'r dun!

Thanks in advance!

NY has almost as bad laws as CA, and mills here dont need a plate.  unless it has a tool box, because it can then carry cargo, then it needs plates.
Boy, back in my day..

golddredger

I am in Ca. Same as you. I have asked the same question when I built my mill. No you do not need a plate. However you do need a slow vehicle reflector minimum. You know the orange triangle you see on farm implements and tractors on the very rear of the mill. This falls in the same catagory as a log splitter. But if you plan to tow after dark it must have lights. Next you cannot haul anything on it. Logs, lumber strapped on the bunks would then be considered a trailer. A tool box with mill related support tools is fine long as the box is permanantly attached to the mill and has tools for it, ear protection, eye protection, basic tools for changing blades, gloves ect.. that is fine. But if you load it down with a full blown tool box you will want to go ahead and register it. Registration is easy. Claim your value, fill out one form, takes 10 minutes they come out and check the hitch for vin number and then stick a blue sticker on the tongue with an id number. You go back inside and get a new permanant plate and depending on your claimed value for taxes will put you anywhere between $34.00 and $100 bucks and you are done. No need to ever pay again and no worries about getting pulled over.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Ljohnsaw

Thanks 4x4 and GoldDredger,

At this point, I don't see my self hauling it around and doing business - don't want to get into all of that insurance and business license stuff.  This is just for hobby and my cabin.  I just need to haul it 60 miles to my cabin site next spring and moving it around on my property.  I figure wheels on it would be better than my flat bed up there (it is 8' x 19').  Very narrow, windy forest road down to my bottom land and, with wheels on the track, it would be about 4' or 5' x 17' - much easier to maneuver.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

4x4American

I wouldn't put a SMV symbol on it, because a SMV symbol means you can't go over 25mph.
Boy, back in my day..

backwoods sawyer

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ljohnsaw

I had a set of magnetic lights from Horrible Fright that came on a pallet load of returns.  I sold them 5 or 6 years ago - doh!  Maybe I'll make my own set with much better magnets since I'm thinking I might have two "trailers" if I can't figure out a way to stack them for transport.
John Sawicky

gimpy

In CA, if it has wheels on the road, it better have a plate. CA Highway Patrol is part of DMV (so to speak). They insure DMV has income. City and county cops mostly couldn't care less.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

pine

Well two different responses from two people that are certain on CA rules.  One yes one no. 
In Washington they are mandatory for anyone doing a search in the future.

golddredger

The mils in Ca. Fall under specialty equipment no doubt about it. You do NOT need to plate it. Same as a log splitter, concrete pumps, welders, farm implements ect... When I get to my computer I will post a link to the California DMV page backing up the info I have shared. I have also found nothing in Ca. Re s saying the orange triangle safety reflector allows for 25 mph and slower. Most all welders and concrete pumps blasting down interstate 5 have them on them. I cannot find in any regs saying anything about speed only that if it is specialty it should have one. But like I say I am currently towing my mill without a plate in Northern Ca. And I have had zero issues. I do use lights with mine when towed. I have magnetic stick on.
Home built bandsaw mill and trailer for a mini logging operation. Lots of chainsaws and love the woods.

Brian_Rhoad

Slow moving vehicle sign usage is regulated by the Federal DOT. 25 MPH or less. It is not to be used on anything that is not a vehicle.

Thank You Sponsors!