iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top plates.

Started by Dave Shepard, June 02, 2015, 09:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

There's no such thing. There are plates, purlin plates, and crown plates. :) I know it sounds like nit picking, but it's important to maintain consistent terminology when discussing design elements. Not pointing out anyone in particular, but have seen it used a lot lately.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

*Ahem*

There is such a thing as top plates.

On saw chain, the top flat part is referred to as the top plate.  Which I what I thought this thread would be about in the first place from the title!
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

This is in the timber framing section. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

You people and your sections!
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Well I guess that all depends on who you are talking to.

There are several different definitions of plates in the glossary of terms, because in England or the UK there are different names for these timbers.

In Germany there are lots of different names for different plates in a timber frame.

My German drawing program lists all kinds of plates.

Here is an example of them:

300/plates layer
   -310/plate
      -311/bottom plate
      -312/midspan plate
      -313/ridge plate
      -314/overhang plate
           -315/chamfered plate
      -316/chamfered midspan plate
      -317/ridge board
      -318/chamf. ridge plate
   -320/purlin
      -321/canted purlin
      -322/canted plate
      -323/common purlin
   -330/rising plate
      -331/rising purlin
      -332/rising purlin chamfered
      -333/rising purlin unchamfered
   -340/plate connector
      -341/plate connector
      -342/post sole plate
   -350/plate post
      -351/king post
   -360/plate post brace
      -361/king post brace

The numbers before these names are so that the program knows exactly which timber you are referring to. And it keeps track of each and every one of them that you use when you select a timber to put into your drawing model frame.
Many of these are even different colors when you draw them.

Every timber in a timber frame gets it's name by it's location in the frame.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, Dave, I'm just stating that in different places there are different names for the same thing.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

fishfighter

Well, I still using TOP PLATES in my build. :D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on June 02, 2015, 11:35:33 PM
Well I guess that all depends on who you are talking to.

There are several different definitions of plates in the glossary of terms, because in England or the UK there are different names for these timbers.

In Germany there are lots of different names for different plates in a timber frame.

My German drawing program lists all kinds of plates.

Here is an example of them:

300/plates layer
   -310/plate
      -311/bottom plate
      -312/midspan plate
      -313/ridge plate
      -314/overhang plate
           -315/chamfered plate
      -316/chamfered midspan plate
      -317/ridge board
      -318/chamf. ridge plate
   -320/purlin
      -321/canted purlin
      -322/canted plate
      -323/common purlin
   -330/rising plate
      -331/rising purlin
      -332/rising purlin chamfered
      -333/rising purlin unchamfered
   -340/plate connector
      -341/plate connector
      -342/post sole plate
   -350/plate post
      -351/king post
   -360/plate post brace
      -361/king post brace

The numbers before these names are so that the program knows exactly which timber you are referring to. And it keeps track of each and every one of them that you use when you select a timber to put into your drawing model frame.
Many of these are even different colors when you draw them.

Every timber in a timber frame gets it's name by it's location in the frame.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, Dave, I'm just stating that in different places there are different names for the same thing.

Jim Rogers

This is why I'm making the argument for consistency.

Are those even timber names, or are those for dimensional construction? I don't see those names used in timber work, and they are not in the TFG definitions. They are just confusing the issue. The only other definition I saw in the TFG definitions was wall plate used in English framing.

stanwelch

In the glossary of timber framing terms at the beginning of this section, PLATE is defined.  At the end of the definition is "Also top plate, wall plate"
From this definition, I think either term is appropriate.  Am I missing something?
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Chilterns

I note that there is an excellent illustrated article - "What's in a name" on pages 4 & 5 of the Autumn 2010 issue of The Oxon Recorder No. 44 that might help those persons struggling with the proper application and use of vernacular nomenclature.

Chilterns

Thank You Sponsors!