iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Generations

Started by dboyt, June 05, 2014, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboyt

Just four months after breaking his hip at 88 years old, my dad is helping me run the sawmill as winch operator and sawdust control expert.  He also comes up with some good ideas, though I do need to keep an eye on him.  It is never too late to make new memories!

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Lonely Sawer

That's awsome(to quote the younger generation). He looks like he's enjoying it as much as you. Cherish these times you have and don't let him out work you. I lost my Dad back in "76 and I think he would have love working around my mill. He was an accountant at a lumber mill for 24 years. When I was 17 I worked there pulling off the greenchain. I would have lunch with most days. I wish he was still around to enjoy the Norwood. Good memories.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

Magicman

Thank you for the smile.  Oh what I would give......  :)

I am the Dad and Granddad, so it is my responsibility to pass on the memories.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

It's really great to hear stories like this, I take it as a "pick-me-up".

Keep the memories going.

Take pictures to pass along!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

That is outstanding!  I would love to have Dad hanging around.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Dad and his father, 1948-49? Black cherry tree came down on the property my aunt and her husband just bought a year prior. They had the log milled, and here they are cutting boards to length. Granddad made cobblers' benches for each of his three children from the wood.

It must be in the blood.

Granddad died before I was born, dad is now 93 and has parkinson's. He can't remember names, but he always asks me "how's business?"

thecfarm

My Father never got to see my mill,nor this place either. Took me about 5-6 years after he was gone to put it all together. We looked at sawmills alot and we looked at the kind I bought too. He enjoyed talking about sawmills. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Darrel

If my dad were still alive, he'd be 101 come September.  He built a sawmill when I was 7 or 8.  I still have the head of the 2 1/2 lb cruisers axe he gave me for my 8th birthday.  He died in the month of June 7 years ago.  I'm so glad that you get to enjoy this time with with your dad.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

StimW

My first thought with the first pic is he sure is in a dangerous position!
If that cable came loose/broke he is right in the line of fire.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

tcg

Thanks for the photographs they immediately brought memories of my Dad.

He passed away almost 38 yrs ago at the young age of 57. I can't tell you how many times I have said to my wife that he would absolutely love where we live today.
I would have a hard time keeping him away from the mill, the woods and all that go with it. 

So thanks for bringing a smile on my face.

Magicman

I miss my Dad and also my only Brother, but the one that would have been interested in the sawmill would have been my Granddad.  He "wood" have loved it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

I see you got that big Sycamore on the mill. Looks like you removed the roller guide to get it sawed. I enjoyed visiting your place the other day.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sealark37

My family is a long line of sawyers and sawmill laborers.  When I told my Dad that I liked sawmilling, he laughed and said, "Better you than me".  He got his fill off-bearing slabs in the Georgia heat.  Years later, when I bought my mill, he said, "Let's set it up and saw some".  He has been gone some years now, but he never was a decent sawmill hand.  Regards, Clark

Board Cutter

I'm fortunate, I still have my dad helping around the mill at the young age of 91!  He mainly runs the tractor to haul slab and sawdust but isn't afraid to help stack boards if I need it.
He did logging in the late 30's when everything was done with hand saws and axes but after coming home from the war went to work for the power company.
He's never lost his love of being around trees, logs and lumber though and has taught me a lot about woodcraft.
TimberKing 2000, John Deere 970, Hitachi Excavator,

backwoods sawyer

Enjoy reading about everyone shairing time with their dads around the mill ;) I lost my dad ten years ago at a young 66 to the big C while I was working in the production mill :( Sawmills and wood working have been in the family for as far back as the tree goes.
The other day we had a customer who's 89 yr old dad showed up for a couple hours and was the eager assistant, we slowed the milling down to a pace that they could keep up and enjoyed the two older generations working together and the stories of old sawmills in the area that he had worked in.
Enjoy the time that you have with them.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

leroy in kansas

Dave, glad your dad in doing well after the hip fx. Keep him as active as he can be. Thanks for sharing.

Leroy

Thank You Sponsors!