iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling a Big Pine

Started by kgbond, June 09, 2014, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgbond

We got around to felling the large pine tree that had been killed by beetles. As you can see in the images, blue stain is evident in the quartered sections. The tree was 165 feet tall. The tree was topped at 100 feet. The remaining 100 feet was felled and cut into 10-foot sections. The diameter of the base was 56". The first four ten-foot sections were quartered. The rest of the material was milled into 1x6 and 1x8's. We eliminated all of the insect-damaged outer layers. This project has taken me many weekends to complete. It took a lot of horsepower. Thanks to Magic Man for all his advice!

uler3161

1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

beenthere

Looks like a job well done, and some nice looking "pine" for timbers or lumber. Which?

And which pine?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BradMarks

Ljohnsaw

Looks great!  KGBond, where abouts in Nor. Cal. are you located?  How much HP were you pushing and what size blade?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

Now you know you can do it!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Looks like you are doing a very fine job, thank you.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kgbond

We are located in Viola near Lassen Park

Darrel

Wow, those pictures are evidence of a whole lot of hard work.  And they also made me homesick.  I've spent a lot of weekends camping on Hat Creek. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: kgbond on June 09, 2014, 10:53:10 PM
We are located in Viola near Lassen Park

Nice - went to Lassen park last year for a 5 days.  Nice place to visit, so much to see.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ozarkgem

how many BF did you end up with?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

drobertson

You are right, that is a big pine! nice job on the quartering, lots of work for sure,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kgbond

Thank You Sponsors!