iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quarter Sawing

Started by Russ, April 14, 2005, 09:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

I have about 1500 ft  10-14 inch dia cherry,      any advantage to quarter sawing it ? How about ash ? I quarter sawed some white pine , besides being ugly the knots weakened the boards. Quarter sawing the oak made beauitiful lumber.

Buzz-sawyer

i would recomend against quartering the cherry..it looks much better flat sawn.imo ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Russ

Thanks, thats what I've done  in the past, trying to even out the sap wood on the sides. These are big enough I could problably get some six inch wide quarter sawn out of a few of  them.

Buzz-sawyer

Yep, but who wants q sawn cherry?? It is a bit more stable BUT thats not as important as the lost wood and inferior appearance...Why do you want to quarter??
I have never quartered ash...but I bet it would still look staight grained and white ;) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

Russ,
Flat sawn cherry has all the figure. 
The grain of quarter sawed  is non-descript.

I seldom produce cherry with vertical grain.  I quarter sawed some deliberately one time for a gun stock and I've bastard sawed some for spindles and legs, but, most all is flat sawed with the biggest concern getting the most lumber from around the heart checks. :)

clif

Hi!!  I was going to Qsaw some Birch tomorrow for flooring to see if it still has character.  I like flatsawn, but is it stable enough?
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Patty

We have flat sawn cherry flooring. It works just fine.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

maple flats

I just flat sawed some cherry today that had been on the forest floor about 10 years. Lost about 2" around most of it, a little more lost on bottom but rest looks surprisingly good. Nice figured stuff. Still got some more to do next time I saw, hope that looks as good.  I cut some for gun stock blanks and the rest into 1" boards. Will air dry it then sell. 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Russ

That makes it easy, flat saw the boards, and quarter saw some 2" in case he wants some legs or something. Still not sure what to do with the ash. I think he wants mostly 5/quarter boards.

MrMoo

I quarter sawed some ash last sumer. The grain was very straight and the wodd still white and no figure. The boards are very stable however. I just brought them inside and checked them with a straight edge and I found them to be nice & flat.
Some of these boards were sold to make oars for a canoe & being quarter sawed was desirable for that. I also plan to use some of it for handles on tools.

Thank You Sponsors!