iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring turkey season in WV

Started by WV Sawmiller, April 17, 2024, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, I'd starve to death as a turkey hunter I guess. Our season opened Monday. I went up to the back side of our place and heard a couple of birds gobbling way across the creek in front of me and one off to the left. I called for a while but never got anything to answer. At 7:20 I heard a shot in front of me so I assume one of those birds got harvested. At 7:33 I heard a shot to the left so I assume my neighbor got that one.

I wimped out on getting up early and trekking up the mountain yesterday then at 7:30 this morning I got up and walked to the front door and opened it to let Sampson in. When I opened the door a big old gobbler gobbled at me from about 30 yards away and about 10' behind my truck. My 12 gauge Berretta was 2' from my hand leaning against the front door frame and I had a pocket full of number 5 shot in my vest pocket on the rocking chair beside it. The turkey ran to the fence and ran up and down the pasture fence line not smart enough to fly over it. I thought about it but decided to just let him go. A younger me would not have let him go.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JD Guy

Amazing the changes we undergo as age and maturity meet up with each other :thumbsup: Well, most of us anyway. I know of a few that will never get there ffwave

Southside

Come on admit it - the younger WV would be posting this in the "I did something dumb today" section and it would involve asking how hard it is to repair #5 shot holes in the fenders of a Ford pickup.  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Saw one belly up yesterday morning at the mouth of a neighbor's drive way. Someone plucked him with a vehicle collision.  ffcheesy

We have a hunt here in May.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I've seen very few turkeys dead in the road. 
Which I am kinda surprised, the way they cross the roads all the time.
Seem like one cross and all the rest do too. 
Just like racoons.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Mom was on a bus trip years ago and one hit the windshield of the bus and shattered it. That was a cool ride. A windshield can only stand so much force, especially a great big bus windshield.  ffcheesy
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

One day when our son was in college he called home in the middle of the week and talked to my wife and told her he'd hit a turkey hen on the way back to his college home he shared with a buddy from un near Huntington. He said he broke her wing when he hit her so he chased her down and wrung her neck and took her on with him. My wife warned him he was going to get in trouble with the game warden. He told her "Mom, don't worry. Th evidence has been disposed of." 

Actually in WV we can take road kill with us. We re just supposed to call and report it then we are clear if stopped.

A buddy in NW Fla said a guy was driving by and saw a flock of turkeys near the road and jumped out and shot 2 big gobblers. A pick up truck pulled in behind him and a farmer got out ranting and raving about not being able to raise livestock and poultry because of idiot city slickers like him killing all his stock. The shooter apologized and he paid him $50 each for the turkeys which the farmer still took with him. They both drove away. My buddy says there is not a house withing 20 miles of that spot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Years ago on one of our normal Sunday afternoon drives we rounded a curve and a flock of young turkeys started running and lifting off.  The last one almost made it before it hit the Bronco roof just above the windshield.  His last trip was to the supper table that evening. food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2024, 07:33:41 AMA buddy in NW Fla said a guy was driving by and saw a flock of turkeys near the road and jumped out and shot 2 big gobblers. A pick up truck pulled in behind him and a farmer got out ranting and raving about not being able to raise livestock and poultry because of idiot city slickers like him killing all his stock. The shooter apologized and he paid him $50 each for the turkeys which the farmer still took with him. They both drove away. My buddy says there is not a house withing 20 miles of that spot.
House or not if it wasn't their land and they didn't have permission, they were in the wrong.  I have had guys shoot onto my farm for deer and if you want to see hot, that's one sure way to go about it. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

The point of the tale was that the poacher got scammed.
Howard Green

Southside

Not how I see it - he got away lucky and without a criminal record. Property rights is something of a passion of mine.  My dad would have beat me into the next season if I had pulled a stunt like that. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

We went out today and I saw a dead turkey in the road. 
Always takes me a minute to figure out what it is. I only see one or two dead in the road.
A garage I go said he saw 2 in the road dead in the same place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!