iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Underwater old growth timber

Started by monte, December 23, 2005, 08:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monte

Hey guys!

What do you guys think of old growth timber that is found underwater. 100 yrs+.
Is there money in it ( selling the log,selling planks or making furniture and selling it?)

I live in a old logging town area were most river were used for river logging in early 1800"s

And I do scuba dive!

What do you think? ::)

VA-Sawyer

I think there is very good money in it for the very few that can get a permit to legally recover the stuff. For most regular folks ( the ones without permits )  the fines are very stiff! It seems to be a political thing....and money talks.

Max sawdust

Ya if you can get it without a hassle.  I am looking at few logs in our lake.  Our house is near a big old saw mill railroad head.  Even got a courdery road along the shore (log road) 8)
The guys who pull the stuff out of Lake Superior sure made a killing.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Jeff

Yep, dont think you can just go down to the river and start hauling out logs cause it dont work that way. At the least you will be fined into the poor house and the most, they will find you a new home.
| | | | |   <----- behind those

If you want to learn more about underwater logging, do a search. We have experts here. Guys that do it, even the guys that right the books about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don_Papenburg

And up there in Kanadar they don't have them bone snappin krockagators  like the Fla.Deadheader had to deal with .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

swampy

Heeeeyyyy, them gators only bite when they is hungry. The trick is to dive right after they done ate. ;D ;D  Ed
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

Jeff

That ED had to deal with aint that right swampy  :D

Kirk_Allen

Hey Swampy,
I got to be in your turf (Orlando) on the 9th of Jan.  Got some logs to saw?  I could schedule the trip to come a day or two early if your up to it.

Fla._Deadheader

Might not realize whatcher gettin into, Kirk. :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

swampy

Jeff, Pop had to one chicken in the cooler as a just in case!! One can ony fight one off for just so long. :o :o :o ;D

Kirk, Be a down right pleasure to meet up with ya. I am working on getting a saw job right now that we might go on when you get here. I will even let take ole homey for a spin. ;) ;)  The guy has about 150 trees that blew down during the hurricaes the last 2 years and wants to get them sawed up. He thinks he can get 2 logs per tree But I will know more next week. 8) 8)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

monte

Quote from: Jeff B on December 23, 2005, 08:43:52 PM
Yep, dont think you can just go down to the river and start hauling out logs cause it dont work that way. At the least you will be fined into the poor house and the most, they will find you a new home.
| | | | |   <----- behind those

If you want to learn more about underwater logging, do a search. We have experts here. Guys that do it, even the guys that right the books about it.

Thanks Jeff and your right

But the location that I'm thinking about I'm sure they wouldn't give me a hard time, reason being, they just built a new dam in the river system and I noticed them in dryied out bays( would be messy to take them out but If the money is good ::)

I did find lots when I was scuba diving but why go thru the trouble if i could reach them now that the dam is in?

Jeff

Its not just an environmental question any more, but that is a biggy. The value of those old growth lost logs is well known now and usually have a claim of ownership anywhere from the local, state or provincial government to to long lost relatives of the logging companies.

IMERC

Quote from: swampy on December 23, 2005, 10:12:38 PM
Heeeeyyyy, them gators only bite when they is hungry. The trick is to dive right after they done ate. ;D ;D  Ed

does that mean you will be limited on how many dives you can make by how many inlaws are handy
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

swampy

Well that's one way of looking at it. ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Ed

Frank_Pender

Some folks along the Columbia have claimed and gotten the rites of all of the sunken logs in the River from Astoria to Canada. :'(
Frank Pender

Gilman

Guess what river I live 500' from Frank.   :(
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Brucer

Quote from: Frank_Pender on December 24, 2005, 07:31:16 PM
Some folks along the Columbia have claimed and gotten the rites of all of the sunken logs in the River from Astoria to Canada. :'(

... and some Canadians have got rights to log the Columbia on our side of the border. There's an outfit that's been salvaging logs in the Arrow Lakes for a couple of decades.

Those lakes were formed when the Keenlyside dam was built on the Columbia in the late sixties. Not only were there a lot of standing trees left in the valley when the river was dammed, logging companies used to float log booms down the lakes to the sawmill just above the dam. A heck of a lot of the wood was Western Hemlock, and a good portion of those had negative bouyancy when they were dumped in the lake. Went straight to the bottom and stayed there.

Where abouts you at, Monte, more or less?

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

monte

I don't know if theres more or less, but enough to keep me busy for a while!I'm just curious to see what the wood looks like ???
And then what?If its nice wood, sell the logs, cut it up and sell planks, make furniture and sell, and sell it to who?  :-\

All that I know is that the logs are of big diameter and I don't know what kind of species they are!

Thank You Sponsors!