iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How's Beechwood for firewood?

Started by Timberwerks, August 06, 2005, 08:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod

everyone around her only burn red oak and nothing else.But beech burn good too

Timberwerks

I haven't had any luck getting Oak around here. The closest I get is Ash, and so far this year I haven't been able to get that either.

Dale

Fraxinus

Beech is very good.  It is the most dense of the hardwoods here in New England.
Top choice for me would be old growth rock maple and yellow birch.  That stuff lasts forever.
Popple, basswood, willow and any softwood...have their uses but not great firewood.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

SwampDonkey

Around these parts if there is anything but beech, rock maple or yellow birch you'll be told to take your load of firewood and leave. I've seen some people try to mix pin cherry and dead fall fir in the pile, don't leave me that stuff or it will be a free load, for the brush pile. ;D You'd never have any trouble selling beech here, it's easier to burn than rock maple actually. If you burn something like elm and switch over to beech you'll see all the difference in the world with the heat and the length of burn. Elm is alright for a small stove or kitchen stove. For heaven's sake don't throw the beech away. Sure oak would be hotter but beech is preferred up here where the hardwood forests are chiefly rock maple, beech and yellow birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!