iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2021 Annual Forestry Forum Pigroast

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2021, 11:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A reasonably close facsimile to that song was my mom's favorite song!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JJ

firefighter ontheside

Love that movie and the song.  Have you heard the album version of the song that has slight differences in the lyrics?  I just read what I didn't know before.  Johnny Horton died in a car crash shortly after the song was recorded.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crossroads

Dang, 31 hours of driving for me, I guess I'll just have to buy pork chops and pretend I was there
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jeff

Maybe we can do some youtube live or something this year.  I have a youtube link on my profile

Old Greenhorn

We did that at a family reunion at our house. I forget the platform we used, (skype?) it wasn't youtube, but it was a long time before they thought of zoom. I made like a little theater area in the corner of the yard, hung a sheet on the side of the shop for a screen, got a video projector and camera, and we had folks checking in from all over the country. It gave them a chance to se the yard, and kids running around, etc.
 I still have that projector and could bring it if you like. Just have to check it out first.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

We tried live cams in years past, but it was difficult. Its pretty easy now with youtube.

Old Greenhorn

I wasn't aware of that feature on you tube. These days it seems like zoom is the thing, been using it a lot in the past year, just had a session on Wednesday. For non-business (free) users, they put an hour limit on it, but you can do multiple sessions. We did our family reunion last summer on zoom and had a family member with a commercial account so we could run for several hours.
 I can't keep up with the technology changes. It is neat though. I had a meeting last summer on zoom and I was milling that day and lost track of time, so I checked in with my phone from the mill through wifi. When they all saw the mill in the background I had to give them a tour of the setup. Who would have thought 10 years ago we would be doing stuff like that today?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on April 02, 2021, 11:17:50 PMI have a youtube link on my profile
Not the Pigroast but I scrolled down and saw this video of us taking a ride through some of my property a few years ago:

A Magicman trail tour - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Test run. Change if menu on friday prep night of the pigroast this year. Rather than the koegle boiled polish sausage, custom made Kielbasa!  We bought 50lbs last year, so we know its good. 75l lbs repackaged and ready.

Sheepkeeper

Yer makin' me drool on my keyboard  ;D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

OntarioAl

Jeff
I would really like to attend this year but the border is still closed and the Nazis in charge have instituted draconian measures for people (citizens) who fly upon returning home. (Tucker Carlson did a piece on this)
If hings change I will be there
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

Jeff

Yea, I know. I hate Limbo. HATE IT

hey, party game.... :D ;)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, for sure, you can live stream on youtube these days if you have the account for it. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm planning on stopping by for lunch.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

HuskyFan1977

Quote from: Jeff on April 07, 2021, 01:04:42 PM

I can't Limbo but I'll be there. This is my first time attending, can we bring toys aka chainsaws ???
"When we fail, all is not lost, as we learned something we wouldn't otherwise know!!!"
"Tis' Better to try and fail, then to never try at all!!!"

Quotes by me

Jeff

You might want to do a search on the forum on pigroasts and see what it is you are getting in to.  ;) I guess it depends on what you want to do with them, :D

Magicman

We usually use knives to slice da pig after it comes off of da spit. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

Well, Jake Dean@customsawyer has a vivid imagination. 
He may be up for trying out a chainsaw to 'shred the pork'. 
Suggestion, put Mazola in the saw for chain lube first.  ;)
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Magicman

I looked for some pictures of the actual pig carving but I am always knee deep with a knife instead of a camera in my hand.

gspren

Quote from: HuskyFan1977 on April 19, 2021, 06:06:33 PM
Quote from: Jeff on April 07, 2021, 01:04:42 PM

I can't Limbo but I'll be there. This is my first time attending, can we bring toys aka chainsaws ???
There is another forum that has chainsaw get togethers that are loud with lots of sawing, this isn't that. The pig-roast is more like a family reunion where you get to meet the forum family to share stories and food.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

I have a chainsaw that will work great on pork.  and my buddy Jim got this cask filled the other day.  I will try to bring it as well.  lots of great folks.  some whole families and kid friendly.  alcohol consumed in moderation.  good games, conversation, and occasional music.  

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I just came back to check on this thread and see if I missed anything new. While it was on my mind I went and checked the site availability at Hidden Hill Campground and see that there are 8 reservations in the the big weekend so far.
 I can't wait until this comes together. Still holding out hope they will open the borders in time.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks for reminding me that this is getting closer.  I'm looking forward to it very much.  I have little hope that they will open the border, but miracles happen.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Howdy

Golly, as I plan the trip to attend the Pigroast, I can get a airplane ticket and lodging, but finding a rental car that doesn't cost more than the airfare is out of sight.

I could fly into Chicago or Detroit from Portland, however either way I would need a car to get to Clare and be able to travel to a hotel and back to the Pigroast for a couple of days along with side trips.  While getting a car generaly is not a problem, the agency's cut back their fleets months ago and have yet to restock.  It doesn't look good for this summer.

Not sure what I need to do.  I want to come but it is looking like a $1000 trip easily...?

Thank You Sponsors!