iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some questions.....

Started by TexasTimbers, February 08, 2006, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I am wondering what model the 372XP replaced, if it did in fact "replace" one like the 575 replaced it. It is not in my Clymer Service Manual, so I wondered if one of the models in there was its predecessor.
I'm not crazy about the manual although I guess it is the industry standard as far as I can tell, which leads to my next question. Are there any alternatives to this manual?
One of the reasons I wish the Clymer gave more info is that they don't give year of manufacture for the saws. The manual I have stops at 1998 (and a google didn't reveal a later pub) and the 372 isn't in there, so it makes me wonder what years were the 372XP manufactured? I know they are still available but no longer are made.
Last question I promise: What tachometer would you recommend?
???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

dozerdan

Hi
The 372 replaced the older 272.
Husky came up with the 375 as a replacement for the 372 but its not working out for them. The 375 does have a few nice features, its smooth and it is easy on fuel. The 375 seems to work well for some people in some areas. I have never seen a new 575 around here run in a loggers hand for more them 3 month without the engine locking up. I have seen one of them that locked up after 4 1/2 trees. They seam to have some major problems with the crankshaft side bearings.
Husky is now producing more of the 372s. They claimed they will build them until there tooling is in need of maintenance. They figured that to be about 6000 of them. If you want one you better start looking now because they will go fast.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

tony_marks

their in buisiness to make money. i got a feeling they gonna find a way to keep producing them. even if not for the US. hope so anyway.

Rocky_J

Dan, you say the 372 replaced the 272. Where does the 371 fit in? Didn't they call it a 371 for a year or two before labelling it as the 372?
???

BTW Bailey's will be getting a limited number of 372's over the next few months. If you want one, get your order in soon. I got caught up in the panic back around Christmas when everybody ran out and supposedly no more were coming. I found some at Madsen's and bought two more just for future use.

sawguy21

The 371 is the cutoff saw based on the 372XP
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

OK thanks for the answers peoples. I did find some good info on the tach question I had so I don't need that anymore but two questions remain:

Is the Clymer Pro series the best?

When was the 372XP first manufactured?

sawguy21

1993. The first digit now indicates the year it was introduced such as 455 and 570/575

sawguy21

OOOPS :D :D :D I meant 2003. Sorry about that Chief.

SawTroll

The 372xp replaced the 371xp, which replaced the 272xp.
However, I think there were some parallell production, as there is with the 575xp and 372xp at the moment. It also happened with the 288xp vs. 385xp, 262xp vs. 362xp and other Huskys. A replacement in the line-up is far from allways a "clean cut".

I think the 371xp appeared in late 1995 or early 1996.
At the same time as the 372xp appeared (late 1999 I think), 362xp and 365 versions with some of the same new features appeared. On some markets they were then dubbed "Special", on others not. It did not happen on all markets either as far as I know.

The cutoff saw is the 371K, that was based on the 371xp.
There is also a 75cc version - 375K, but never a chainsaw called 375.

Here is a 372xp manual from 2000.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 11, 2006, 09:56:29 PM
1993. The first digit now indicates the year it was introduced such as 455 and 570/575
Sorry, but not true!
Quote from: sawguy21 on February 11, 2006, 10:03:23 PM
OOOPS :D :D :D I meant 2003. Sorry about that Chief.
Still not true!
Information collector.

Kevin Ginter

I still have a 371 kicking around. It's a 1998, and has been the best saw I have ever owned. I was wondering what updates were made that led to the creation of the 372? I can't seem to notice a difference between the two??

TexasTimbers

Couldn't help ya Kevin I have a 372 but never even seen a 371.

Thanks for the clarifications Sawtroll. The closest my Madsen's get's is a 272XP. Being a 1998 copy I wonder why the 371 isn't in there.
Thanks for the link to the manual - just what I needed.

SawTroll

You are welcome! 8)

The most obvious differences are that the 372 got the lateral chain tensioner and a semi-transparent fuel tank. Different angle on the handlebar has also been mentioned, but I am not sure that is the case.

Beefed up crank/and or bearings has been mentioned, but I am not sure of that one either....

....but Husky has stated that the 372 weighted 6.1 kg vs. 5.9 for the 371, and DLG/KWF test reports say 6.4 vs. 6.1. The extra weight must bee somewhere, and I do not think the chain tensioner accounts for all of the difference.
The same weight increase happened to the Jonsered 2171 vs. the 2071.

Some has stated that two vs. one piston ring is a difference, but that difference did not happen on all markets, and I think it happened in the US before the model number was changed.

Here is more on the 371/372 topic.
Information collector.

sawguy21

I have never seen a 371 either, except as the 371K cutoff saw. I worked in logging until 2000 and the fallers were using 272's I did not see a 372 until 2003. One of the people at Husqvarna Canada indicated the first digit indicated the year of the new version.
SawTroll, I too find Husky's published weights a little confusing. If I remember correctly, the literature indicates the 372 and 575 weigh the same and we know that is not right :D The advertised weight of the 570 is off too.  I like that saw, light and torquey.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 15, 2006, 08:58:36 AM
I have never seen a 371 either, except as the 371K cutoff saw. I worked in logging until 2000 and the fallers were using 272's I did not see a 372 until 2003. ....
Not really surpricing.
The last IPL I have seen for the 272xp is from 1999-11, so it seems like the parallell production lasted at least until the 372 replaced the 371 -
so the 272 outlasted its own replacement....... :D         8)
Information collector.

Kevin Ginter

Thanks for the info everyone. After many years of pulling the 371 out of the truck and people looking at you funny cause they have never seen one, I now have an explaination!!! 8)

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 15, 2006, 08:58:36 AM
.... If I remember correctly, the literature indicates the 372 and 575 weigh the same and we know that is not right :D The advertised weight of the 570 is off too.  I like that saw, light and torquey.
As far as i know, the 575 and 570 weights considerably more than the 372xp both according to Husky and in the real world.
Information collector.

dozerdan

Hi
The 371 and the 372 are basically the same saw.  Any part from those two saws will interchange with each other. The 371 did use the old style front chain adjuster but you can remove it from the case and use a 372 cover with the side adjuster. The case on the 372 is still machined for the front adjuster and you can change it over if you so desire. The top handles on both saws are identical. I have heard rumors that husky beefed up the engine case, in the bar mount area on the 372. If they did I could never find it. I have looked at both cases side by side and they look identical to me. The crankshaft and bearings are also the same.
The carb on the two saws do have some minor internal difference. That was changed to meet the EPA standards. They will both interchange.
Husky along with a few other have a tendency to stretch the truth when it come to weight. When Husky claims the weight of the 372, they state power head only. I have had a new 372 on scales and you can make there advertised weight. If you remove the clutch cover and the front bumper spike from the case. It weighs in at Husky's advertised weight. I guess that is there version of power head only.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Thank You Sponsors!