iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cool burl walnut log

Started by Brad_bb, May 08, 2019, 06:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Well I've had this log for about a year and a half.  I just removed all the bark which took awhile.  I plan to slab it for a table top.  It's 18 feet long.  I'm thinking of cutting it at 10 ft.  which would leave me with 8ft for a smaller table.  The width with the Burls is in the 34inch range.  I understand the new Woodmizer Wide mills have a throat opening of 36 (can anyone confirm this)?  I haven't purchase an LT15wide yet but plan to by the end of the year.  I wish I knew someone in Proximity to INdy that had one to slab it for me.  My LT15 won't do it.  Wish the forum has a database that could be searched by state and mill.  I'm planning to use the burl material in the scrap outer two slabs to slice thin for wall switch covers.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Bruno of NH

The lx150 can make a wider cut than a lt15 wide
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 08, 2019, 06:12:29 PMWish the forum has a database that could be searched by state and mill.

It does, for those that choose to add to it by filling out the info in their profiles.. You, for example have not, so your lt15 does not come up when I go to member search, then type lt15 and search for member by sawmill brand or model.

there is also this
Find a Database
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

Well butter my bisquit!  You learn something new all the time.  I'll have to see how well it works.  @Jeff , If you have multiple terms for equipment and other things, do you put the terms in, with no commas or punctuation?  If you have a two word term like "Stihl 090", do you need to put it in quotes or anything so It's recognized as a single term? Thanks, Brad

Jeff

Ive not played to much with it. I think id try to use  simple searches. Id try different variations too.  Like  lt15 and lt 15. Deoends pn how a member lited it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

offrink

It can take upto 35.5" according to the manual. That is perfect scenario. I've found 34 is a nice full cut. Having to stop to trim down a cut isn't fun and I've had to really push it and scrape the sides a few times.

Edit: it can go much taller. I cut 42" in height with no problem with a 7" thick slab. Then switched to 2x's after that. 

Brad_bb

@offrink , that is the distance between the guides fully open?  Do you have the LT15wide?  Where in MI are you?:)

offrink

The problem I had was both at the guide and the bottom of the mill. It is wider with the plastic rail cleaners. 34" shouldn't be to much of a problem. The mill is located near Howell, MI 48855. (SEish lower peninsula)

thecfarm

@Jeff,I like that search. I know you mentioned it,but it should be mentioned again.
Fill in your profile FF members!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!