iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk - Axle

Started by macminn18, July 08, 2020, 07:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macminn18

I'm considering an EZ Boardwalk mill. I need a trailer for it. I noticed a post from a while back where someone mentioned some have been able to rig their mill so they didn't have to take the axle off when milling as recommended by the company. Tried searching the forum but no luck.
Anyone know if this is possible?

ladylake

You'd need to put six jacks on it to support the mill good,  5000# side wind that swivel up work good.  Steve 
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Gere Flewelling

Though I do not have an EZ Boardwalk mill, I have noticed that they usually have frame/track constructed of angle steel.  Any portable mill I have seen has a tubular steel frame that the axle and leveling jacks attach to.  I don't think it would be possible to properly level and sufficiently support the mill on jacks with just an angle steel frame. The angle steel needs to be supported every couple of feet to keep from flexing.  I have noticed that some companies like Thomas Bandsaw Mills use an angle steel frame that is set on a tubular steel frame.  All leveling jacks or legs are attached to the tubular steel frame. They make an axle that can be removed or left in place during use.  The only other reason I can think of that Boardwalk might want you to remove the axle is that it might interfere with the carriage rolling past it.  Plus you may have to work around the tire while walking along with the mill.  I would rather walk around the tire and have the mill at a good height for operation than to have to have to bend to ground level all day moving logs and lumber.  That is an old guy's opinion.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

ladylake

On you tube vids the EZ 40 has 3 supports on each side so 6 jacks should be good.  You could put 8 if your worried about frame flex but those frames look heavy.   Steve    
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Nebraska

The frame is of channel iron  with 3/4" rod on top it's pretty sturdy there are many ways to attach leveling jacks if you want to make it portable to saw  in different locations with out just leveling up timbers to work on.  The axle isn't bad to remove and replace its pretty easy.....  Initially I wanted to make it portable, but afterreading here and  contemplating liability insurance and all the other things that come with sawing on somebody else's place, my little mill is planted and all logs come to it.

farmfromkansas

My Cooks MP32 has a trailer kit, I use it to roll the mill into the shed when I am not using it.  Only taken it to saw at a buddy's place once. Told him he owned it while on his property.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

farmfromkansas

Just looked at the EZ web site, prices are pretty good.  Wonder what that 15 degree angle cut does?  Anybody use their blade sharpener? Looks like you might get a touch up or 2 between sharpenings.

ladylake

The 15° angle makes it a lot easier to push.  Steve

Nebraska

You actually have to hold on to it with a brand new blade as it will pull itself into the cut a little...If you are pushing with more than just a little effort, you just as well change the blade because it's time. The angled tooth marks make the rough sawn lumber look a little more like circle milled wood fwiw... I built my platform with a 2" in 10' fall....It wasn't necessary as I thought the actual sawing of the wood would take more effort than it does.

macminn18

Quote from: Nebraska on July 08, 2020, 11:24:45 AM
The frame is of channel iron  with 3/4" rod on top it's pretty sturdy there are many ways to attach leveling jacks if you want to make it portable to saw  in different locations with out just leveling up timbers to work on.  The axle isn't bad to remove and replace its pretty easy.....  Initially I wanted to make it portable, but afterreading here and  contemplating liability insurance and all the other things that come with sawing on somebody else's place, my little mill is planted and all logs come to it.
Thanks Nebraska. So it sounds as though you have an EZ mill.  Can you tell me a bit more about how the axle comes off?  I assume raise one end at a time?  Looks like the axle is mounted to a steel channel?  One thing for sure, EZ Boardwalk could use a website upgrade.

farmfromkansas

Can anyone post EZ boardwalk Utube videos of sharpener and maybe mill in operation?  That 40" log capacity with almost power feed looks very interesting. Being able to tell your band is getting dull by having to push hard would be useful.

TroyC

I recently got an EZ 40. Still new to it as I only have about 15 hours on it.
Suggestion- get the trailer with it unless you are going to set it up permanently. I move mine into a storage building when not in use.  It would be hard to make a comparable trailer and log turner (and tongue) for the price they charge. Possible, but you would be working cheap!

I put 6 sidewind jacks under mine. Setup with the factory screws was not bad, but the jacks make it quicker and a little more sturdy. I welded the jacks to crosspieces and bolted them under the frame. Jacks swing up for towing. Setup with jacks is about 5-6 minutes. Saw comes with 6 levelers so I figure 6 jacks will be fine. The frame is heavy C channel and does not require as much support as do the angle iron frame mills. If you kind of bump it loading a large log, the leveling feet can slide. Not so with the jacks. Another advantage of leaving trailer under mill and using jacks is the height of cut lumber. No leaning over to pick up boards!

The factory trailer is basically a cradle which sits under the C channel frame. There is one bolt on each side of the mill that holds the trailer cradle to the mill. Simple, effective. Mill tows very nicely. If you have a loader, remove the 2 cradle bolts with a 3/4" wrench, lift one end of mill and roll cradle out from under it. Careful when you set it down, mill is quite heavy! There are also 2 bolts that secure the head to the center of the mill. Leave these bolts in the machine until you are ready to cut! There is a brake for holding the sawhead but it will not hold the sawhead if the mill is low on one side.

Yes, the mill will pull slightly when cutting, especially with a new blade. Don't push fast! Keep your hand wrapped around the push bar until you get the feel of the machine. It does push easily. (A 6 year old can actually push it, supervised, of course!) You will know when the blade needs changing as it will require a little more effort to make forward progress.

Walking around the tire on the machine while sawing is a non issue. The engine control lever and the push bar are aligned with the outside of the tire so it does not get in the way.

The log turner on the support side of the mill does rest on the tire if you leave the trailer under it. Simple solution- slide pin in the turner, turn log, remove pin and lay turner on ground. Again, no problem. The EZ40 comes with the turner (if you buy the trailer package) and an extra crosspiece so you can cut really short stuff. The turner is nice for 22" and over logs as 2 old guys have to strain with a cant hook on the larger logs.

macminn18- Yes, the EZ website does not really do justice to the quality build of the mill. I found extra things on my mill that were not listed on the website that sure are really nice features!

homesteader shane

Note from admin. It is against forum rules to direct someone to a gallery to view photos. Photos uploaded must appear in a post. That is the soul purpose of the gallery. To house post photis.

check out my setup pics. really easy and tows nice. Iv had this mill on the road for 10years and no problem with the lumber i produce for customers  

reinela

I spent the money for the blade sharpener and bought a tooth setter from another mill company. It took me over an hour to sharpen and reset a blade. With practice I'm sure I could shave that time down. However, I found a blade sharpening service that charges about $6 per blade, so I just wait until I have about 12 or more blades to sharpen and send them off. New blades run $25 - $45. I stick with the $25 blades from Timberwolf and have been very happy with the performance. So if yiu plan to do a lot of sawing I would just use a sharpening service.
Lee A. Reiners
Reiners Tree & Lumber Milling Service
309-830-7380
reinela@hotmail.com

ladylake

How can it take a hour to sharpen and set a blade, takes me 8 minutes to sharpen and I set when the sharpener is running.  Steve

macminn18

Quote from: ladylake on July 15, 2020, 03:54:49 AM
How can it take a hour to sharpen and set a blade, takes me 8 minutes to sharpen and I set when the sharpener is running.  Steve
Lady Lake, are you in MN?

ladylake

Yes near the little town of Grey Eagle.   Steve

macminn18

Quote from: ladylake on July 15, 2020, 10:49:49 AM

Yes near the little town of Grey Eagle.   Steve
I think I drove through there once.  I'm in the NW suburbs currently, will be in Garrison next spring full time.  How long have you had your TimberKing?

ladylake

Since 2002, now has 15000 hours and doesn't break down much.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!