iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fast-growing trees to block sight

Started by livemusic, March 08, 2017, 10:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Sometime in the past month, I posted a need to block vision/sound from a highway and somebody suggested Eastern Red Cedar and also Southern Magnolia for my locale. I think those are good suggestions, as they are leafy and evergreen. I don't know how fast they grow. If anybody knows of another tree, let me know!

I have another need and that is a tree that grows fast. Somebody cut a shooting lane (deer hunter) on my property (without permission from my previous owner) right next to his deer stand and I want to plant trees on the lane near his stand so that it blocks his view. He shouldn't be on my property but I want to block the view anyway to remove his line of sight. Fast growth and leafiness are good. Pines grow real fast, so, I will plant those but they are not very leafy. What about red maple or any other tree? What grows fast? This is hardiness zone 8, southern U.S.
~~~
Bill

sawguy21

You can't post it and call the authorities when he is trespassing? To answer your question poplar might be a good choice, it seems to be a battle to keep that under control.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DelawhereJoe

How about some nice invasive bamboo with a kudzu helper, you wouldn't be able see anything in a matter of weeks. Most people around here plant Leland cypress or something similar as blockers for there yards. Sweet gum grows fast but in the winter same as poplar and red maple will lose all its leaves. It all depends how much money you want to dump into it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Czech_Made

TKehl

Hybrid poplar planted in overlapping rows.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crusarius

My area I would plant wild blackberries (black raspberries). If you ever tried to walk through a blackberry patch you would understand.

The dead ones are worse than the live ones. :)

livemusic

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 08, 2017, 11:07:36 AM
You can't post it and call the authorities when he is trespassing? To answer your question poplar might be a good choice, it seems to be a battle to keep that under control.

I doubt he will be on my land anymore but you never know. Other owners were absentee, I am not! As for posting, it's posted 'automatically' (entry is automatically trespassing without permission) these days in my state, but I will still put up some posted signs.
~~~
Bill

Ljohnsaw

How tall does it need to be?  Not a tree, per se, but wants to be! Privet.  Out here it keeps its leaves year round but does drop quite a few throughout the year.  If you don't keep after it, it will easily grow to 20' in 3 or 4 years, self plants with abundance!  It will grow so thick with all the young'ns, you can't walk through it let alone see.  New leaves are red in the spring, dark green older leaves.  White tiny flowers and tons of little blue berries the birds eat.  If you plant 4 to 5 feet apart and two rows alternating you will have a wall in no time.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

redneck

X2  on the hybrid poplars.  they were used here on a local golf along a road to keep balls in play.  Amazing how fast they grew over the years
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

curdog

Is this an open area or in standing timber? If it's shaded,it will slow the growth on most species or most of the shade tolerant ones don't grow incredibly fast to begin with.

Thank You Sponsors!