iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spindle sander

Started by Doug_D, November 12, 2012, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hello all-
I am in the market for a spindle sander.  Really don't want to spend a ton on it as I am more or less a hack.  Any recommendations?  I've seen the gizzly's and they look very nice, but again I really don't want to pull the trigger on a $600 machine if I don't have too.

Thanks for all the help.

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

jueston

I have the DELTA SA350K, its only 1/4 horse but it's a good machine, I only got it a few months ago and I have not used it a whole lot, but when I have used it, its done exactly what I ask of it.  I got it off eBay real cheap it was opened but unused and it was less then half price after shipping.
I like the circle table instead of the rectangle with the off center spindle, but the project that I purchased it for is circular so maybe it depends what your working on what table shape is best.

If I was going to use it every day I might want something bigger/more expensive, but for the amount I use mine, this is the perfect machine for me. Its not to heavy to pick up and tuck away either, since its bench top when I finish with it I just tuck it under the bench. Which is nice since I don't have a very large garage/workshop

Also I really like the dust collection system on the delta one I have, I have not used any other brands in a while, so I don't know if they are all the same, but at the bottom of the spindle it has fins that create a downdraft, and then I hook my shopvac up to the dust port, and there is not a single spec of dust when I use it. Even if I go for an hour there is no dust on the workbench.

You can usually get them used pretty cheap because it is the kind of item people think they really need, but then realize maybe it wasn't a good idea to buy a whole machine for one project.

Doug_D

I found a couple of craigslist and going to look at them in the next couple of days.  Buying used seems to be the best idea.  I may end up with a spindle sander and a decent 12" disc sander for less than a new spindle.

Going to take a shot at building some dining room chairs with some contours.  Been pretty much a flat work guy up until now.  I hope it does not become an exercise in making precision cut firewood  ;D

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Larry

I've had the Delta for around 10 years.  It has worked fine for the little that I have used it.  To change spindles one has to tilt the machine to put an allen wrench in the bottom.  A bit awkward.  I've read they have plastic gears which might be a problem.  The real test is if the owner would buy that machine again...yes I would buy the same one again.

It seems 12" disc sanders have an attraction for me of late.  I have four of the older made in the USA Delta models.  A couple of weeks ago I was at an auction and bid $120 on a nice Powermatic, but the other guy got it.  My buddy says I missed out on a deal...I said $120 was fifty more than I've paid for one in the past and I didn't want to be setting no price trends. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jamesamd

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Busy Beaver Lumber

If your patient, you can save a ton of money and pick them up at tool auctions or on craigslist. My buddy picked up a nice on on craigslist for $50 and it came with almost that much in spare sanding sleeves. I got on a few years back for $20 at an auction and probably could have got it for $10 if i had not jumped out and offered a starting bid of $20 because nobody was bidding on it.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

jueston

Quote from: jamesamd on November 17, 2012, 07:28:04 PM
At 200 smackeroos,it works just fine for Me!

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Sanders-Spindle-Sanders/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc2gh/R-100061671/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Jim

i looked at this one only after i got mine, and i really like it since it acts as a spindle sander and an edge sander. i use the disk sander for rounding corners on projects sometimes and i think that this edge sander would be less likely to burn then the disk sander... but i always find something new i want after i buy a tool....  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!